TUCSON, Ariz. – Arizona fell to 10-8 on the season after falling to Fresno State, 4-3 Saturday afternoon at the LaNelle Robson Tennis Center.
“You're not going to have style points, ‘Head coach Tad Berkowitz said. “We’ve won a bunch of 4-3's and this one finally caught up to us.”
Arizona senior Kieren Thompson and sophomore Trevor James won the first match of doubles play beating by Eric Komati and Alexandros Georgios, 8-2 at the No. 3 spot. Arizona junior Sumeet Shinde and sophomore Naoki Takeda beat John Darmstaedter and Sai Kartik Nakireddi, 8-7 (10-0) at the No. 1 spot to clinch the doubles point.
In singles play, Takeda took down Darmstaedter, 6-0, 6-4 at the No.3 to get the Arizona lead to 2-1. And freshman Will Kneale beat opponent Gerorgios at the No. 5 spot, 6-3, 6-2.
“Naoki and Will did an amazing job,” Berkowitz said. “Those guys really stepped up and got two quick points on the board.”
James continued to take advantage of his third start, but his comeback fell a little short against Ethan Lopez going, 3-6, 6-0, 6-4 at the No. 6 spot.
Thompson fought hard against Sai Kartik Nakireddi in a close match at the No. 1, but ultimately fell, 7-6, 6-4.
"He's a really emotional player. He wants to win so badly,” Berkowitz said. “He's our captain and our leader and he just wants the win not just as an individual, but as a team."
The Wildcats continue weekend play as they host St. Mary’s on Sunday, March 16 at 11a.m. at the LaNelle Robson Tennis Center.
For continued coverage of Arizona men’s tennis, visit ArizonaWildcats.com, follow @ArizonaMTennis on Twitter and Instagram, and on Facebook at facebook.com/ArizonaMensTennis.
1. Sumeet Shinde/Naoki Takeda (ARIZ) def. John Darmstaedter/Sai Kartik Nakireddi (FS) 8-7 (10-0)
2. Nikolas Papic/Ethan Lopez (FS) vs. Matt Dunn/Mario Urquidi (ARIZ) no result
3. Kieren Thompson/Trevor James (ARIZ) def. Eric Komati/Alexandros Georgios (FS) 8-2
1. Sai Kartik Nakireddi (FS) def. Kieren Thompson (ARIZ) 7-6, 6-4
2. Nikolas Papic (FS) def. Sumeet Shinde (ARIZ) 6-2, 6-2
3. Naoki Takeda (ARIZ) def. John Darmstaedter (FS) 6-0, 6-4
4. Eric Komati (FS) def. Mario Urquidi (ARIZ) 6-2, 4-6, 6-2
5. Will Kneale (ARIZ) def. Alexandros Georgios (FS) 6-3, 6-2
6. Ethan Lopez (FS) def. Trevor James (ARIZ) 3-6, 6-0, 6-4
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (2,3,5,1,4,6)