LOS ANGELES, Calif. –No. 25 Arizona women’s tennis (16-4, 5-3) lost a tough match against No. 2 UCLA (19-2, 7-1) Friday, 7-0.
“Today’s match up was a tall order,” said Head Coach Vicky Maes. “UCLA is a tennis powerhouse and they didn’t give us an inch. At the same time, I really felt we were in the match and had some opportunities.”
The Wildcats are now 3-4 on the road.
Senior No. 60 Lacey Smyth put up a fight against No. 2 Robin Anderson, but it wasn’t enough as she fell, 6-3, 7-6.
The duo of freshman Lauren Marker and senior Kim Stubbe lost a tough match to the country’s No. 1 doubles team of Robin Anderson and Jennifer Brady, 8-4.
“In doubles, we played them close and a few points just didn’t go our way,” said Maes. “In singles, we fought and created good momentum, but just couldn’t convert on the big points. Going into tomorrow, we need to turn it up a notch and believe in our chances.”
Next up the Wildcats will take on No. 13 USC Saturday April 11 at noon.
For complete results and continued coverage of Arizona women's tennis, visit the Arizona women's tennis page on Facebook or ArizonaWildcats.com. For live updates on this weekend's matches, follow @ArizonaWTennis on Twitter.
1. No. 1 Robin Anderson/Jennifer Brady, UCLA (def) Lauren Marker/Kim Stubbe, ARIZ, 8-4
2. No. 8 Catherine Harrison/Kyle McPhillips, UCLA vs. Lacey Smyth/Shayne Austin, ARIZ, DNF
3. Courtney Dolehide/Chanelle Van Nguyen, UCLA (def) Akilah James/Susan McRann, ARIZ, 8-1
1. No. 2 Robin Anderson, UCLA (def) No. 60 Lacey Smyth, ARIZ, 6-3, 7-6
2. No. 11 Jennifer Brady, UCLA (def) Kim Stubbe, ARIZ, 6-1, 6-3
3. No. 31 Kyle McPhillips, UCLA (def) No. 61 Lauren Marker, ARIZ, 6-1, 6-4
4. No. 13 Chanelle Van Nguyen, UCLA (def) Akilah James, ARIZ, 6-2, 6-3
5. No. 74 Catherine Harrison, UCLA (def) Shayne Austin, ARIZ, 6-4, 6-0
6. Kaitlin Ray, UCLA (def) Laura Oldham, 6-2, 6-3