April 24, 2013
Ojai, Calif. -
The 8th seeded Arizona Wildcat men’s tennis team dropped a 4-0 decision to the 5th seeded Washington Huskies in the first round of play at the 2013 Pac-12 Championship Tournament. The match marked the last in the 2013 season for the Wildcats.
The Huskies clinched the doubles point with wins on courts one and three, court two was left unfinished. First to finish was the team of Fredrik Ask and Matt Dunn and Naoki Takeda wrapped up next on court three. Dunn and Takeda dropped the match, 8-5, to Hudson Barnhard and Emmett Egger. The match marked the second for the Huskies and clinched the doubles point in their favor.
In singles action, Washington topped Arizona on courts one two and three to clinch the match. Finishing first was Ask on court two. The junior from Oslo, Norway dropped a 6-1, 6-1 decision to Bots. Next to finish was Kieren Thompson on court two. Thompson, a junior from Brisbane, Australia, fell, 6-1, 6-1, to McMorrow. Last to finish was Shinde on court three. Max Manthou edged Shinde, a sophomore from Pune, India, 6-1, 6-1. The match marked the fourth point for Washington and clinched the match in their favor; all remaining courts were left unfinished.
The loss eliminates the Wildcats from the tournament and concludes the 2013 season.
The match marked the second year in a row where the 8th seeded Wildcats fell 4-0 to the 5th seeded Huskies in the Pac-12 Championship Tournament.
Washington, 4 def. Arizona, 0
Pac-12 Championship Tournament
April 24, 2013
1. Bots/McMorrow (UW) def. Ask/Shinde (UA), 8-3
2. Urquidi/Thompson (UA) vs. Hawke/Manthou (UW), 7-7 DNF
3. Barnhart/Egger (UW) def. Takeda/Dunn (UA), 8-5
Order of finish: 1,3*
*Clinch doubles point
1. Kyle McMorrow (UW) def. Kieren Thomspon (UA), 6-1, 6-1
2. Marton Bots (UW) def. Fredrik Ask (UA), 6-1, 6-1
3. Max Manthou (UW) def. Naoki Takeda (UA) vs. Jeff Hawke (UW), 6-7, 0-1 DNF
6. Carlos Bermudez (UA) vs. Nicholas Kamisar (UW), 2-6, 3-4 DNF
Order of finish: 2,1,3*