Records: Tulane (2-6), Arizona (4-3, 1-3)
TUCSON, Ariz. - Arizona freshman Debbie Larocque won her fifth match in a row defeating Tulane's Joyce Bergman, 6-0, 6-2, as she helped pace the Wildcats to a 5-2 victory over the Green Wave Tuesday at the Robson Tennis Center.
UA took the early advantage winning two of the three doubles contests to earn the doubles point. Arizona's duo of senior Michelle Gough and junior Sophie Regnier topped Tulane's Julie Morris and Bergman, 8-3, at the No. 1 spot. At the No. 2 position, Larocque and teammate, junior Laresa Marino outlasted the Green Wave's Nancy Kockott and Lucy Wood, 9-8.
Along with Larocque, Regnier, Marino and junior Brooke Taylor posted singles victories for the Wildcats. Competing in the No. 3 match, Regnier edged Morris, 5-7, 7-5 (10-6), in a match shortened due to time constraints. Marino recorded her third straight victory with a win over TU's Anneli Axsater, 7-6, 6-1.
For the Green Wave, 17th-ranked Anna Monhartova and Nancy Kockott accounted for the squad's points. Monhartova tripped up No. 59 Gough, 6-3, 6-0. Kockott also garnered a straight sets victory edging Wildcat freshman Perrine Pernin, 6-4, 7-6.
Arizona will return to action Wednesday, Feb. 28, when it plays host to Furman at 2 p.m. MST.
1. #17 Anna Monhartova (TU) def. #59 Michelle Gough (UA), 6-3, 6-0
2. Debbie Larocque (UA) def. Joyce Bergman (TU), 6-0, 6-2
3. Sophie Regnier (UA) def. Julie Morris (TU), 5-7, 7-5 (10-6)
4. Laresa Marino (UA) def. Anneli Axsater (TU), 7-6, 6-1
5. Nancy Kockott (TU) def. Perrine Pernin (UA), 6-4, 7-6
6. Brooke Taylor (UA) def. Olga Mikhailova (TU), 6-3, 6-3
Doubles (Arizona wins doubles point)
1. Gough/Regnier (UA) def. Morris/Bergman (TU), 8-3
2. Larocque/Marino (UA) def. Kockott/Lucy Wood (TU), 9-8
3. Mikhailova/Axsater (TU) def. Taylor/Pernin (UA), 8-5