March 6, 2011
"The guys played a complete match today," head coach Tad Berkowitz said. "Across the board they competed very well and got the job done."
In doubles action,
In the No. 1 spot, the tandem of senior Geoff Embry and junior Jason Zafiros squared off against Matej Stakne and Jim Brouleau, a familiar duo. The Wildcat pair faced Stakne and Brouleau in the finals of the New Mexico State Invitational in September, falling 8-5. Today, Embry and Zafiros dropped a tight doubles match in a 9-8, (7-4) tiebreaker. The match had seven ties throughout the match coming down to the wire.
The Wildcats carried their momentum into singles play, claiming five solid wins. Playing in the No. 1 spot, for the third time this season, No. 107-ranked Carrasco took on No. 77-ranked Surreaux. Carrasco breezed through straight sets 6-1, 6-1 to upset Surreaux and build the Wildcats lead to 2-0. The senior has now notched 63 singles wins in his career as a Wildcat.
In the No. 6 spot, Urquidi for the fourth time this season has clinched the match for the Wildcats, counting the match on Friday against
Seconds after, Thompson padded the lead to 5-0 for the Wildcats in the No. 5 position. The freshman dispatched Ramirez in the first set 6-3 and powered his way to a 6-4 second set victory. Thompson is undefeated at home in singles play.
The Wildcats sixth and final point of the day came in the No. 4 slot. Embry, like Zafiros battled back in a three-setter after dropping the first set. The senior took on Stakne, falling in the first set 6-3, before winning the next two sets, 6-3, 6-3. With the win, Embry improves to 6-2 in dual match action.
The Aggies got on the board in the No. 3 spot.
With the win, the Wildcats improve to 8-5 and improve to 7-1 at home, while
1. Stakne/Brouleau (NMSU) def. Embry/Zafiros (UA) 9-8 (4)
2. Urquidi/Vidaller (UA) def. Superlano/Ramirez (NMSU) 8-6
3. Carrasco/Thompson (UA) def. Surreaux/Westgate (NMSU) 8-6*
Arizona Wins Doubles Point
Order of finish, 2,3*,1
*Clinched doubles point
1. No. 107 Andres Carrasco (UA) def. No. 77 Arthur Surreaux (NMSU) 6-1, 6-1
2. Jason Zafiros (UA) def. Jim Brouleau (NMSU) 6-4, 3-6, 6-0
4. Geoff Embry (UA) def. Matej Stakne (NMSU) 3-6, 6-3, 6-3
5. Kieren Thompson (UA) def. Luis Ramirez (NMSU) 6-3, 6-4
6. Mario Urquidi (UA) def. Felipe Frattini (NMSU) 7-6 (6), 6-1*
Order of finish, 1,2,6*,5,4,3
*Clinched the match