Feb. 12, 2004
The No. 34 Arizona women's tennis team (3-1) played in its fourth match of the season and defeated No. 51 New Mexico (2-2), 5-2. The Wildcats won two of three doubles matches, and four of six singles matches for the overall win.
In doubles action, juniors Maja Mlakar and Dianne Hollands easily defeated New Mexico's team of sophomore Maja Kovacek and senior Sandy Lukowski, 8-1. The second match of the afternoon to finish came on court 3 where the team of freshman Jessie Rochefort and sophomore Iza Ferreira also won their match, 8-6, as they competed against New Mexico's Tiffany Robertson and Michelle Heidrink. The longest match of the afternoon came on court 2 where New Mexico's Iva Gersic and Maria Ruiz-Fabrega came from behind to beat Arizona's team of junior Kelly Perry and Senior Debbie Larocque in a tiebreak, 9-8.
Playing in the fifth position, junior Kelly Perry was the first to finish her match as she won, 6-0, 6-3, over Tjasa Suvak. After losing her first set, freshman Jessie Rochefort came from behind to easily win the last two sets over New Mexico's Tiffany Robertson, 2-6, 6-0, 6-0. Sophomore Iza Ferreira was the third to finish her match. She competed on court 6 against Michelle Heidbrink and lost, 4-6, 6-4, 6-1. Senior Debbie Larocque played on court 3 and lost in three sets to Sandy Lukowski, 6-3, 4-6, 6-2. On court 2, junior Maja Mlakar came from behind to defeat Maja Kovacek, 3-6, 6-4, 6-4. The longest match of the afternoon came on court 1 where junior Dianne Hollands defeated Iva Gersic in three sets, 6-2, 7-6 (9-7), 6-1.
The Wildcats will next see action on Feb. 14 at 12:00 p.m. when they take on Oregon in Eugene, Ore.
1. Dianne Hollands (UA) def. Iva Gersic (UNM), 6-2, 6-7(9-7), 6-1.
2. Maja Mlakar (UA) def. Maja Kovacek (UNM), 3-6, 6-4, 6-4.
3. Sandy Lukowski (UNM) def. Debbie Larocque (UA), 6-3, 4-6, 6-2.
4. Jessie Rochefort (UA) def. Tiffany Robertson (UNM), 2-6, 6-0, 6-0.
5. Kelly Perry (UA) def. Tjasa Suvak (UNM), 6-0, 6-3.
6. Michelle Heidbrink (UNM) def. Iza Ferreira (UA), 4-6, 6-4, 6-1.
1. Hollands/Mlakar (UA) def. Kovacek/Lukowski, 8-1.
2. Gersic/Ruiz-Fabrega (UNM) def. Perry/Larocque (UA), 9-8.
3. Ferreira/Rochefort (UA) def. Heidbrink/Robertson (UNM), 8-6.