“Overall, I am pleased with the way we competed,” head coach Bill Ryden said following the meet. “Stanford is a truly great team. It’s nice to know we are able to compete with them. At the same time, we know we let a great opportunity slip away; we had an excellent chance to win the meet if we stayed on beam.”
The Wildcats stayed close to Stanford through the first two rotations. The Cardinal took a 0.100 lead after the first, leading 49.075-48.975.
Despite the recovery,
The Wildcats moved to floor to cap the meet and scored a season-high 49.300. Morgan started the rotation with a 9.800, while Workman followed with a career-best 9.850. Russell and Wurm earned third-place marks of 9.875, and Hicks posted a 9.750. In the sixth spot, Holton matched her season and career high score with a 9.900.
On beam, the Cardinal turned in a solid and consistent last rotation on beam with a 49.050 to hold off the Wildcats.
“I am proud of our team for not giving in after beam,” Ryden said. “We came out on floor with the mindset that we were not going to give up; we weren’t going to go away.”
In the second rotation on bars, the Wildcats posted their second highest score of the season in the event, a 49.025. Suzanne Alvey and Russell each turned in career-best 9.775 bar sets to start the rotation. After Morgan received a 9.750, Bergeson posted a 9.825. She was followed by Wurm, who shared the bars title with Stanford’s Carly Janiga, as both received 9.900 scores.
Three Wildcats competed in the all-around, with Morgan leading the way with a career-high 39.250. She placed third overall behind Stanford’s Janiga (39.425) and Nicole Ourada (39.325). Wurm placed fourth with a 38.200, and Russell made her debut as an all-arounder with a 38.150.
“We hope we can get Aubrey back by the Pac-10 Championships,” Ryden said. “We replaced her with three true-freshman routines and a redshirt freshman. We’re going to have to keep improving without her for now.”
The Wildcats will be at home again next week to take on
- The announced attendance of 1,414 was the largest crowd to attend a meet in McKale Center since March 20, 2004, when 2,031 fans attended the Pac-10 Championships... On the season, Arizona is averaging 1,278 fans per meet, a significant increase from last year’s average of 1,006.
- Stanford’s 196.400 was the highest team total for a UA opponent this season
- Miranda Russell competed in the all-around for the first time in her collegiate career. She made her official debut on vault, tallying a 9.850 to share second-place honors. She matched her career high on bars with a 9.775 and she shattered her previous career high of 9.800 on floor with a 9.875 to share third place on floor.
- Brittney Morgan competed in the all-around for the second time in her career, totaling a career best 39.250. She also broke her previous career high of 9.750 on beam with a 9.850 against Stanford, giving her a share of third place in the event. She also set a career high on floor with a 9.800. Her only other floor appearance earned a 9.000 at UCLA on Jan. 26.
- Karin Wurm won a share of the bars title (9.900). It marks the fourth-consecutive week she has won at least a share of the event title. Over the four-meet stretch, she is averaging a score of 9.900.
- Danielle Hicks, ranked No. 8 in the nation on beam, matched her season and career high with a 9.900 to win a second straight beam title. On the year, she is averaging a score of 9.863 in the event, and has not scored below a 9.825.
- Bree Workman notched a 9.850 on floor, besting her previous career high of 9.775.
- Suzanne Alvey set a new career-best score of 9.775 on bars. Her previous best was a 9.750.
- Filling in for the injured Aubrey Kelly, Sarah Specht posted a career high 9.700 on bars.
Team Results by Rotation
UA on vault: 48.975
Stan on bars: 49.075
UA on bars: 49.025 ; Running total: 98.000
Stan on vault: 49.075 ; Running total: 98.150
UA on beam: 48.075; Running total: 146.075
Stan on floor: 49.200; Running total: 147.350
UA on floor: 49.300; Final total: 195.375
Stan on beam: 49.050; Final total: 196.400
Individual Results by Event
1. Nicole Ourada (Stan) 9.875
2. Miranda Russell (UA) 9.850
2. Brittney Morgan (UA) 9.850
1. Karin Wurm (UA) 9.900
1. Carly Janiga (Stan) 9.900
2. Nicole Ourada (Stan) 9.850
1. Danielle Hicks (UA) 9.900
2. Jamie Holton (UA) 9.875
3. Brittney Morgan (UA) 9.850
3. Kelly Fee (Stan) 9.850
1. Jamie Holton (UA) 9.900
1. Carly Janiga (Stan) 9.900
3. Karin Wurm (UA) 9.875
3. Miranda Russell (UA) 9.875
1. Carly Janiga (Stan) 39.425
2. Nicole Ourada (Stan) 39.325
3. Brittney Morgan (UA) 39.250