TULSA, Okla. ?- The No. 26 Arizona men’s tennis team (2-1) fell to No. 32 Oklahoma State today, Jan. 28. The Wildcats fell to the Cowboys, 5-2, after taking one of the doubles matches and only winning two singles matches.
To start off the day in doubles, in the No. 1 position, the dynamic duo of No. 18 senior Colin O’Grady and junior Roger Matalonga, defeated Mark Van Elden and Daniel Byrnes, 8-5. Shortly after their win, the Wildcat pair of senior Paul Warkentin and freshman Christen Claudio, fell to No. 40 Boris Kuharic and Felipe Diaz, 8-3. To decide the doubles point, junior Daniel Andrus and freshman Bruno Alcala, in the toughest match of the day, fell to Tomas Bohunicky and Arstem Burmistrau, 9-8, to seal the doubles point for the Cowboys.
Competing in singles action, No. 58 Matalonga fell to No. 44 Van Elden, in straight sets, 6-4, 6-1. Following up in the No. 2 position, O’Grady tried to get the Wildcats on a roll, as he defeated No. 115 Bohunicky, 6-3, 7-6 (10-8). Shortly thereafter, Alcala fell, in his first match this season, to No. 117 Kuharic, 6-2, 6-2. In another tough match for the Wildcats, Warkentin fell in extra points to Burmistrau, 6-2, 6-7 (10-5), to seal the dual match victory. In the No. 5 position, freshman Jason Labrosse fell to Diaz, 7-6, 6-4. To finish things up, Claudio, in his first ever collegiate match, defeated Byrnes, 7-6, 2-6 (ret.).
The Wildcats will hit the courts again tomorrow, Jan. 29 in Tulsa, Okla. First serve is scheduled for 6:00 p.m.
Results: Arizona vs. Oklahoma State
- Matalonga/O’Grady (UA) def. Van Elden/Byrnes (OSU) ?- 8-5
- Kuharic/Diaz (OSU) def. Warkentin/Claudio (UA) ?- 8-3
- Bohunicky/Burmistrau (OSU) def. Andrus/Alcala (UA) ?- 9-8
- Van Elden (OSU) def. No. 58 Matalonga (UA) ?- 6-4, 6-1
- O’Grady (UA) def. No. 115 Bohunicky (OSU) ?- 6-3, 7-6 (10-8)
- No. 117 Kuharic (OSU) def. Alcala (UA) ?- 6-2, 6-2
- Burmistrau (OSU) def. Warkentin (UA) ?- 6-2, 6-7 (10-5)
- Diaz (OSU) def. Labrosse (UA) ?- 7-6, 6-4
- Claudio (UA) def. Byrnes (OSU) ?- 7-6, 2-6 ret.