Albuquerque, N.M. ?- On the second day of back-to-back matches in Albuquerque, the Arizona men’s tennis team (1-3) squared off against No. 73 New Mexico (3-1). The previous day Arizona lost a close match to No. 63 Nebraska. The Wildcats knew they would have their hands full with the Lobos after they upset Nebraska on Friday 5-2.
In the first match of the day Arizona’s Jason Labrosse and Ravid Hezi came up short against Graeme Kassautzki and Joe Nicolazzi, losing 8-4. At the No. 1 position, New Mexico’s Miles Bugby and Johnny Parkes defeated Bruno Alcala and Claudio Christen 8-5. In a close match that reached seven-all, Peter Zimmer and Milos Romic teamed up against Kamil Pajkowski and Chris Parkes. The Lobos came away with the 9-7 victory, completing the sweep and earning one point for New Mexico heading into singles play.
A day earlier, No. 86 Christen upset Nebraska’s No. 73 Adrian Szatmary in straight sets. After Arizona dropped matches at the No. 3 and No. 5 spots, respectively, Christen continued his strong play and kept the Wildcats’ hopes alive with a 7-5, 6-2 win over Johnny Parkes at the No. 1 slot. Unfortunately for Arizona, that was their only point of the match. In a duel of freshman, Joe Nicolazzi secured the win for New Mexico with a 6-0, 6-4 win over Alex Labrosse.
The Arizona men’s tennis team returns home to Tucson next weekend to take on Santa Clara University. The match begins at 1 p.m. and will take place at the LaNelle Robson Tennis Center.
No. 73 New Mexico 6, No. 61 Arizona 1
1. Bugby/J. Parkes (UNM) def. Christen/Alcala (UA) 8-5
2. C. Parkes/Pajkowski (UNM) def. Zimmer/Romic (UA) 9-7
3. Kassautzki/Nicolazzi (UNM) def. J. Labrosse/Hezi (UA) 8-4
1. No. 86 Christen (UA) def. Johnny Parkes (UNM) 7-5, 6-2
2. Graeme Kassautzki (UNM) def. Alcala (UA) 6-3, 6-4
3. Kamil Pajkowski (UNM) def. Zimmer (UA) 6-3, 6-1
4. Miles Bugby (UNM) def. Hezi (UA) 4-6, 7-5, 10-7
5. Chris Parkes (UNM) def. J. Labrossee (UA) 6-2, 6-0
6. Joe Nicolazzi (UNM) def. A. Labrossee (UA) 6-0, 6-4