May 9, 2003
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. - Sixteenth-seeded Arizona defeated Niagara University, 4-0, in the first round of the NCAA Division I Tournament held at Harvard University on Friday. The Wildcats will face off against Harvard Saturday at 3 p.m. to determine which team will head to the Sweet 16.
The Wildcats captured the doubles point, taking two of three matches from the Purple Eagles. In the top spot, Arizona's No. 24 duo of graduate student Emilie Scribot and sophomore Maja Mlakar toppled Niagara's team of Milena Matijevic and Colleen Willick, 8-1. In the third spot, sophomores Dianne Hollands and Kelly Perry defeated Colleen Carey and Kendra Daigler, 8-0. The third match was not played.
In singles play, the Cats won in three positions, securing Arizona's victory. No. 29 Mlakar defeated Marian Al-Shikarchy in the second spot, 6-1, 6-0. No. 45 Hollands won her match in the third position versus Niagara's Danielle Cranier, 6-0, 6-0. Perry clinched the Wildcats' victory with a win over Carey in the fifth spot, 6-0, 6-0. The remaining matches were not played.
1. #5 Emilie Scribot (UA) vs. Milena Matijevic (NU), suspended
2. #29 Maja Mlakar (UA) def. Marian Al-Shikarchy (NU), 6-1, 6-0
3. #45 Dianne Hollands (UA) def. Danielle Cranier (NU), 6-0, 6-0
4. Debbie Larocque (UA) vs. Colleen Willick (NU), suspended
5. Kelly Perry (UA) def. Colleen Carey (NU), 6-0, 6-0
6. Kristy Randono (UA) vs. Kendra Douglas (NU), suspended
1. #24 Mlakar/Scribot (UA) def. Matijevic/Willick (NU), 8-1
2. Larocque/Randono (UA) vs. Al-Shikarchy/Cranier (NU), suspended
3. Hollands/Perry (UA) def. Daigler/Carey (NU), 8-0