“We knew coming in there would be a lot of three set matches and tiebreakers,” said assistant coach Cory Hubbard. “We had a couple of match points in doubles that we didn’t get. We had a good start in singles and came back but they really battled back and we couldn’t finish.”
The Huskies were able to claim the first point of the day, winning two of the three doubles matches.
In singles play, the Wildcats picked up the first two points to go ahead 2-1. On court five, Jason Labrosse defeated Andy Kuharszky in straight sets, 6-3, 6-1. Claudio Christen added the second point with a 6-1, 2-6, 6-2 win over Insausti.
The Huskies were then able to fight back, winning the remaining four singles matches. In senior Roger Matalonga’s final match, he was able to force a first set tiebreaker after being down 4-1. He went on to win the tiebreaker but eventually fell to Alex Slovic, 6-7 (4-7), 6-4, 6-4. Fellow senior Jeff Groslimond was also unable to get a victory in his final home match, falling to Pierre Metenier, 4-6, 6-3, 6-4.
Washington 5, No. 39 2 Arizona
- (33) Slovic/Daniel Chu (UW) def Groslimond/Christen (UA) ?- 9-8 (7-5)
- Kuharszky/Jank (UW) def Matalonga/VanderMerwe (UA) ?- 9-8 (7-4)
- Alcala/Zimmer (UA) def Insausti/Ricks (UW) ?- 8-6
- (32) Alex Slovic (UW) def (43) Roger Matalonga (UA) ?- 6-7 (4-7), 6-4, 6-4
- Pierre Metenier (UW) def Jeff Groslimond (UA) ?- 4-6, 6-3, 6-4
- Claudio Christen (UA) def (90) Jean-Noel Insausti (UW) ?- 6-1, 2-6, 6-2
- Daniel Chu (UW) def Bruno Alcala (UA) ?- 4-6, 6-2, 6-3*
- Jason Labrosse (UA) def Andy Kuharszky (UW) ?- 6-3, 6-1
- Klaus Jank (UW) def Peter Zimmer (UA) ?- 6-4, 7-6 (7-5)
* Denotes Clinching Match
Order of Finish: 5, 3, 6, 2, 4, 1