SEATTLE ?C The Arizona womenˇ?s tennis team lost its dual match today, 4-0, to the Washington Huskies at the Nordstrom Tennis Center in Seattle, Wash. The match was played in tournament fashion due to an early flight for Arizona. The Cats are now 7-13 overall.
The Huskies jumped in front by winning the doubles point. Freshmen Venise Chan and Kelsey Anonsen breezed through their No. 2 doubles match against Katie Orletsky and Jane Huh, 8-2, to get things started. Melinda Wong subbed in for an ailing Vanja Radunovic at No. 3 doubles with Aleksandra Malovic, and the two defeated Ariane Masschelein and Natalia Toporowska, 8-6, to clinch the point. The No. 1 match was abandoned with UW's Tara Simpson and Joyce Ardies leading Danielle Steinberg and Claire Riestch, 7-3.
Switching over to singles play, Ardies made quick work of Huh at No. 4 singles, winning 6-2, 6-0. Simpson survived a first set challenge from Toporowska before rolling 6-4, 6-0 at third singles.
With a 3-0 lead, and three Huskies nearing wins, it became a race to see who could grab the final point. Sophomore Aleksandra Malovic reached the finish line first, defeating Claire Rietsch at No. 2 singles, 6-3, 6-2.
This was Arizonaˇ?s first loss to Washington since 2005 and the Huskies first Pac-10 win over a school other than Oregon or Washington State during that time.
Arizona will play No. 41?Washington State tomorrow in Pullman, Wash. at noon.
4/4/08 - Nordstrom Tennis Center
No. 49 Washington 4, Arizona 0
1. Ardies/Simpson (UW) vs. Steinberg/Rietsch (UA), 7-3 DNF
2. Chan/Anonsen (UW) def. Orletsky/Huh (UA), 8-2
3. Malovic/Wong (UW) def. Masschelein/Toporowska (UA), 8-6
Order of finish: 2, 3
1. (40) Venise Chan (UW) vs. (38) Danielle Steinberg (UA), 6-4, 5-4 DNF
2. Aleksandra Malovic (UW) def. Claire Rietsch (UA), 6-3, 6-2*
3. (119) Tara Simpson (UW) def. Natalia Toporowska (UA), 6-4, 6-0
4. Joyce Ardies (UW) def. Jane Huh (UA), 6-2, 6-0
5. Kelsey Anonsen (UW) vs. Ariane Masschelein (UA), 3-6, 5-3 DNF
6. Melinda Wong (UW) vs. Katie Orletsky (UA), 7-5, 5-3 DNF
Order of finish: 4, 3, 2
* Clinching match