March 8, 2003
BERKELY, Calif. - The No. 26 Arizona women's tennis team fell to Cal Friday at the Hellman Tennis Courts in Berkely, Calif., 6-1. Arizona falls to 4-4 on the season, and has yet to capture a Pac-10 victory.
In singles play, sophomore Maja Mlakar lost in the No. 1 spot to No. 13 Raquel Kops-Jones, 6-1, 6-1. In the second position, No. 46 graduate student Emilie Scribot was defeated by No. 45 Christina Fusano, 6-4, 6-3. Sophomore Dianne Hollands fell in the third spot to Catherine Lynch, 6-3, 7-5. In the fourth position, junior Debbie Larocque was defeated by No. 56 Jieun Jacobs, 6-4, 6-4. In the fifth spot, sophomore Kelly Perry lost to Nicole Havlicek, 6-4, 6-2.
In doubles action, Cal won two of three matches to capture the doubles point. Arizona's only doubles victory was in the third spot, where Perry and Randono defeated Havlicek and Lynch, 8-5. In the first position, Hollands and Scribot fell to No. 13 Fusano and Kops-Jones, 8-6. In the second spot, Mlakar and Larocque were defeated by Jacobs and Scheldt, 8-2.
Arizona will continue its California road trip Saturday at noon, when the Wildcat women's tennis team takes on No. 3 Stanford in search of a Pac-10 victory.
1. Raquel Kops-Jones (Cal) def. Maja Mlakar (UA), 6-1, 6-1
2. Christina Fusano (Cal) def. Emilie Scribot (UA), 6-4, 6-3
3. Catherine Lynch (Cal) def. Dianne Hollands (UA), 6-3, 7-5
4. Jieun Jacobs (Cal) def. Debbie Larocque (UA), 6-4, 6-4
5. Nicole Havlicek (Cal) def. Kelly Perry (UA), 6-4, 6-2
6. Jody Scheldt (Cal) vs. Kristy Randono (UA), results incomplete
1. Fusano/Kops-Jones (Cal) def. Hollands/Scribot (UA), 8-6
2. Jacobs/Scheldt (Cal) def. Mlakar/Larocque (UA), 8-2
3. Perry/Randono (UA) def. Havlicek/Lynch (Cal), 8-5