Jan. 30, 2004
TUCSON, AZ - The No. 27 Arizona women's tennis team (1-0) opened the 2004 dual match season by easily defeating Northern Arizona (0-2), 7-0, Friday, Jan. 30. The Wildcats swept all six single matches as well as winning each of the three doubles matches.
In doubles action, juniors Maja Mlakar and Dianne Hollands easily defeated NAU's team of Christina Klokinis and Ashley Dille, 8-0. The team of junior Kelly Perry and Senior Debbie Larocque also easily won their match 8-0 over NAU's Julie Schmandt and Susan McClelland. The longest match of the afternoon came on court 3 where freshman Jessie Rochefort and sophomore Kelly Duncan came from behind to defeat NAU's team of Kmiec and Willman, 9-8.
Playing in the sixth position, sophomore Kelly Duncan easily won her match 6-0, 6-0. Junior Kelly Perry defeated NAU's Susan McClelland, 6-4, 6-4. Freshman Jessie Rochefort won over NAU's Julie Schmandt, 6-1, 6-3. Senior Debbie Larocque defeated Karen Kmiec, 6-1, 6-3. Maja Mlakar easily won the first set of her match and then went on the beat Ashley Dille in the second position, 6-0, 6-3. The longest match of the singles competition was played by junior Dianne Hollands. After a close first set, Hollands pulled away in the second set to defeat NAU's Klokinis, 6-3, 6-1.
The Wildcats will next see action tomorrow at 2:00 p.m. when they take on Oklahoma at home.
1. Dianne Hollands (UA) def. Christina Klokinis, 6-3, 6-1.
2. Maja Mlakar (UA) def. Ashley Dille, 6-0, 6-3.
3. Debbie Larocque (UA) def. Karen Kmiec, 6-1, 6-3.
4. Jessie Rochefort (UA) def. Julie Schmandt, 6-1, 6-3.
5. Kelly Perry (UA) def. Susan McClelland, 6-4, 6-4.
6. Kelly Duncan (UA) def. Willman 6-0, 6-0.
1. Hollands/Mlakar (UA) def. Klokinis/Dille, 8-0.
2. Perry/Larocque (UA) def. Schmandt/McClelland, 8-0.
3. Duncan/Rochefort (UA) def. Kmiec/Willman, 9-8.