March 14, 2012
Albuquerque, N.M. -
The Arizona Wildcat men's tennis team fell, 7-0, to the New Mexico Lobos in Albuquerque, N.M. The Lobos swept doubles play and went on to top Arizona in all six singles matches.
In doubles play, the Cats fell on courts one and three and retired on court two. On court one, Giacomo Miccini and Sebastian Ionescu were edged, 8-3, by Ben Dunbar and Conor Berg. On court three, Mario Urquidi and Carlos Bermudez dropped their match against Carl Ho and James Hignett, 8-6. Andre Vidaller and Kieren Thompson were down 6-5 against Matthew Neeld and Jadon Phillips when the match was called.
With the doubles point in favor of the Lobos, singles play was decided in straight sets in five of six matches. On court one, Vidaller dropped a close match to Phillips, 6-4, 6-4. Forcing the only tiebreaker of the day was Miccini, on court two. The sophomore from Recanati, Italy dropped the first set, 6-3, to Dunbar but cam back to earn the second set, 6-7 (0). The match entered a super tiebreaker where Miccini was edged, 11-9.
Sophomore Urquidi fell, 6-1, 6-2, to Berg on court two. The loss marked his first in Arizona's spring break lineup this season. On court four, Bermudez was edged, 6-4, in a close first set to Samir Iftihkar. The Tucson local went on to drop the second set, 6-1.
Also earning his first loss of the spring break lineup was Thompson on court five. The sophomore from Brisbane, Australia fell, 6-4, 6-3 to Ho. On court six, Robin Chou dropped his match against Hegelund, 6-2, 6-1.
Arizona falls to 4-9 while New Mexico improves to 13-5, 1-1 Mountain West.
The Cats will be back in action as they travel to Boise, Idaho to play Boise State on March 16 and Idaho on March 17.
UNM, 7 def. Arizona, 0
Linda Estes Tennis Complex
1. Dunbar/Berg (UNM) def. Miccini/Ionescu (UA), 8-3
2. Neeld/Phillips (UNM) def. Vidaller/Thompson (UA), 6-5, Ret.
3. Ho/Hignett (UNM) def. Urquidi/Bermudez (UA), 8-6
1. Jadon Phillips (UNM) def. Andre Vidaller (UA), 6-4, 6-4
2. Ben Dunbar (UNM) def. Giacomo Miccini (UA), 6-3, 6-7 (0), 11-9
3. Conor Berg (UNM) def. Mario Urquidi (UA), 6-1, 6-2
4. Samir Iftihkar (UNM) def. Carlos Bermudez (UA), 6-4, 6-1
5. Carl Ho (UNM) def. Kieren Thompson (UA), 6-4, 6-3
6. Mads Hegelund (UNM) def. Robin Chou (UA), 6-2, 6-1