TUCSON, Ariz. ?- The No. 39 Arizona’s Women’s Tennis (5-0) team defeated No. 51 San Diego (0-2), 7-0, concluding a four-match home stand for the Wildcats. The win gives Arizona its best start since 1997 when the Wildcats went 7-0 before finishing as the Pac-10 runner-up.
After the match, Arizona Head Coach Vicky Maes said, “Every match you compete to win. This is my fourth year here and this team is the most eager to win, up-and-down the lineup, of any team I’ve coached. The fact that we’re 5-0 is a testament to the role everyone has played.”
For the fifth consecutive match Arizona won the doubles point, led by No. 17-ranked seniors Dianne Hollands and Maja Mlakar. Hollands and Mlakar combined to defeat Jennifer Brown and Lauren Kazarian, 8-5. At the two, senior Kelly Perry and junior Stephanie Balzert won 8-3, over Lauren Perl and Emma Murphy. In the third position, freshman Camelia Todorova and sophomore Jessie Rochefort completed the Arizona doubles sweep with an 8-4 victory over Tara Livesay and Brittany Reitz.
In singles play, Todorova was the first to finish, defeating Helene Lindstrand, 6-3, 6-3, in the sixth position. On the other side of the lineup, No. 63 Mlakar completed her match next with her defeat of Perl, 7-6 (7-1), 6-2, at the one. Next, Perry clinched the Arizona team victory with her 7-5, 6-2 win over Kazarian.
The Wildcats did not let up on the Toreros, as sophomore Kasia Jakowlew defeated Reitz, 7-6 (7-3), 4-6, 10-4, at the five. In the second position, Hollands defeated No. 48 Murphy, 6-4, 2-6, 6-1, while Balzert completed the sweep with her, 6-1, 4-6, 6-3, win over Livesay.
Arizona will next compete at No. 49 South Alabama, before taking on No. 9 Tulane on Feb. 11 and Feb. 12, respectively. The Wildcats will return home Friday, Feb. 25 to open Pac-10 play against Oregon.
1. No. 17 Mlakar/Hollands (UA) def. Brown/Kazarian (USD) 8-5
2. Balzert/Perry (UA) def. Perl/Murphy (USD) 8-3
3. Rochefort/Todorova (UA) def. Livesay/Reitz (USD) 8-4
1. No. 63 Maja Mlakar (UA) def. Lauren Perl (USD) 7-6 (7-1), 6-2
2. No. 23 Dianne Hollands (UA) def. Emma Murphy (USD) 6-4, 2-6, 6-1
3. Stephanie Balzert (UA) def. Tara Livesay (USD) 6-1, 4-6, 6-3
4. Kelly Perry (UA) def. Lauren Kazarian (USD) 7-5, 6-2
5. Kasia Jakowlew (UA) def. Brittany Reitz 7-6 (7-3), 4-6, 10-4
6. Camelia Todorova (UA) def. Helene Lindstrand (USD) 6-3, 6-3