Jan. 31, 2009
The No. 48 Arizona men’s team rebounded from its loss to No. 7 Florida by beating No. 42 North Carolina State, 4-1, Saturday afternoon at the National Spring Kick-Off in Gainesville, Fla.
The Wildcats (3-1) started out slowly losing the doubles point for the second consecutive match. The North Carolina State’s duo of Jaime Pulgar and Jay Weinacker defeated the duo of Jay Goldman and Ravid Hazi 8-6 in position #2. Also for the second straight match the No. 18 doubles team of Pat Metham and Francois VanderMerwe did not finish their match.
In singles play, freshman Jason Zafiros continued his dominance in position #6 sweeping both sets against Julian Sullivan 7-6, (7-3), 7-6 (7-3). On the season, Zafiros is 4-0 in singles play and has not lost a set.
Sophomore Andres Carrasco won his match in the position #4, giving him a three match winning streak. He defeated Jaime Pulgar 6-2, 6-2.
Arizona will be in action again Friday Feb. 6, 2009 at 1:00 p.m. when they take on No. 28 South Florida. The match will be played at the LaNelle Robson Tennis Center.
1) Christian Welte/Julian Sullivan (NCS) vs. No. 18 Francois VanderMerwe/Pat Metham (UA) DNF
2) Jaime Pulgar/Jay Weinacker (NCS) def. Jay Goldman/Ravid Hazi (UA) 8-6
3) Rob Lowe/Freddy Prandecki (NCS) def. Andres Arango/Jasom Zafiros (UA) 9-7
Order: 3, 2
1) No. 88 Jay Goldman (UA) vs. No. 55 Jay Weinacker (NCS) DNF
2) Andres Arango (UA) vs. No. 124 Christian Welte DNF
3) Ravid Hazi (UA) def. Derek Stephens (NCS) 6-1, 6-2
4) Andres Carrasco (UA) def. Jaime Pulgar (NCS) 6-2, 6-2
5) Pat Metham (UA) def. David Chermak (NCS) 7-5, 6-2
6) Jason Zafiros (UA) def. Julian Sullivan (NCS) 7-6, 6-4
Order: 6, 3, 5, 4