Feb. 1, 2004
TUCSON, AZ - The No. 27 Arizona women's tennis team (2-1) played in its third match of the weekend and defeated No. 46 San Diego (0-2), 6-1, Sunday, Feb. 1. The Wildcats swept the doubles matches, and won five of the six singles matches for the overall victory.
In doubles action, juniors Maja Mlakar and Dianne Hollands defeated San Diego's team of Jennifer Brown and Lauren Kazarian, 8-4. The team of junior Kelly Perry and senior Debbie Larocque also won their match, 8-2, as they competed against San Diego's Emma Murphy and Tara Livesay. On court 3, sophomore Iza Ferreira and freshman Jessie Rochefort defeated San Diego's team of Lauren Perl and Jenna Anderson, 8-5.
Playing in the third position, senior Debbie Larocque was the first to finish her match as she won, 6-1, 6-1, over San Diego's Tara Livesay. On court 4, freshman Jessie Rochefort defeated Jennifer Brown, 6-2, 6-2. Junior Kelly Perry was the third to finish her match. She competed against San Diego's Lauren Kazarian and won, 6-4, 6-2. No. 28 ranked junior Dianne Hollands played in the first position and defeated No. 41 Lauren Perl, 6-2, 6-4. No. 29 junior Maja Mlakar played against Emma Murphy and lost in two sets, 7-6, 6-3. The longest match of the afternoon came on court 6 where Iza Ferreira eventually defeated Catherine Heppell, 6-4, 7-6.
The Wildcats will next see action on Feb. 12 at 1:30 p.m. when they take on New Mexico at home in the Lanelle Robson Tennis Center.
1. Dianne Hollands (UA) def. Lauren Perl (USD), 6-2, 6-4.
2. Emma Murphy (USD) def. Maja Mlakar (UA), 7-6, 6-3.
3. Debbie Larocque (UA) def. Tara Livesay, 6-1, 6-1.
4. Jessie Rochefort (UA) def. Jennifer Brown (USD), 6-2, 6-2.
5. Kelly Perry (UA) def. Lauren Kazarian (USD), 6-4, 6-2.
6. Iza Ferreira (UA) def. Catherine Heppell, 6-4, 7-6.
1. Hollands/Mlakar (UA) def. Brown/Kazarian, 8-4.
2. Perry/Larocque (UA) def. Murphy/Livesay, 8-2.
3. Ferreira/Rochefort (UA) def. Perl/Anderson, 8-5.