April 1, 2011
Berkeley, Calif. - The No. 30-ranked Wildcat women's tennis team fell to 2-2 in Pac-10 Conference play on Friday with a 7-0 loss to the No. 10 California Golden Bears.
Arizona forfeited the doubles match on court three and the singles match on court six because of an incomplete lineup.
Arizona dropped the doubles point, losing both matches. On court two, the No. 25-ranked team of Annie Goransson and Anett Schutting edged Susan Mc Rann and Kim Stubbe. Natasha Marks and Lacey Smyth were edged on court one by the No. 3-ranked duo of Mari Andersson and Jana Juricova.
With the doubles point in favor of California and the forfeit on court six, the Golden Bears took the early 2-0 lead. Fortunes did not improve for the Cats in singles action as Arizona was edged on all five courts. Marks was first to finish on court one. The junior from Nottingham, England was edged by the second ranked Juricova. Mc Rann was next to finish on court four. The Dublin, Ireland native fell to No. 80 Goransson. On court two, Smyth was edged by the 18th ranked Andersson. Senior Jane Huh was next to finish on court five. Huh was edged by Marina Cossou. Last to finish was Stubbe on court three. The freshman from Mol, Belgium fell to Schutting.
With the loss the Wildcats fell to 15-5, 2-2 Pac-10 while California improved to 13-5, 4-1 Pac-10.
Due to injuries and illness and a shortage of players the match against Stanford tomorrow has been canceled and will not be rescheduled.
No. 10 California 7, No. 30 Arizona 0
Hellman Tennis Complex
Friday, Apr. 1, 2011
New records: California (13-5, 4-1 Pac-10), Arizona (15-5, 2-2 Pac-10)
1. No. 3 Andersson/Juricova (CAL) def. Marks/Smyth (ARIZ) 8-4
2. No. 25 Goransson/Schutting (CAL) def. McRann/Stubbe (ARIZ) 8-4
3. CAL def. ARIZ
Order of finish: 3, 2*, 1 (California wins doubles point)
1. No. 2 Jana Juricova (CAL) def. Natasha Marks (ARIZ) 6-0, 6-0
2. No. 18 Mari Andersson (CAL) def. Lacey Smyth (ARIZ) 6-3, 6-2
3. Anett Schutting (CAL) def. Kim Stubbe (ARIZ) 6-3, 6-4
4. No. 80 Annie Goransson (CAL) def. Susan McRann (ARIZ) 6-1, 6-2
5. Marina Cossou (CAL) def. Jane Huh (ARIZ) 6-2, 6-4
6. CAL def. ARIZ Order of finish: 6, 1, 4*, 2, 5, 3