TUCSON, Ariz. ?- The No. 42 Arizona’s Women’s Tennis (3-0) team upset the No. 39 Sacramento State Hornets (1-2), 4-3. The Wildcats swept the three doubles matches before splitting the singles matches, 3-3.
After the match, Arizona Head Coach Vicky Maes said, “Sacramento State had some big upsets last year and this year their lineup has only improved. Our girls really competed well for us. It’s a big win.”
In doubles play, No. 17-ranked seniors Dianne Hollands and Maja Mlakar defeated Margarita Karnaukhova and Irina Karanoko, 8-2, in the first position. In the No. 2 slot, senior Kelly Perry and junior Stephanie Balzert teamed up to defeat Klara Petersson and Anna Erikson 8-4. The win marks the pair’s eighth consecutive victory together for an 8-2 record overall. Sophomore Jessie Rochefort and freshman Camelia Todorova completed the doubles sweep of the Hornets with their 8-3 win over Roberta Fessenko and Cecilia Helland.
In singles play, No. 17 Karnaukhova defeated No. 63 Mlakar, 7-5, 6-1, in the first position to put the Hornets on the scoreboard. In the No. 2 position, No. 23 Hollands defeated Karanoko, 6-3, 6-1, to put the Wildcats ahead, 2-1. Todorova defeated Helland, 6-4, 6-2, at the No. 6 slot to push Arizona’s lead to 3-1. Perry clinched Arizona’s team victory by beating Fessenko, 7-6, 6-1, at the No. 4 position.
With the victory in hand, Arizona dropped the final two singles matches. In the third position, No. 61 Erikson defeated Balzert, 7-6, 6-1. The match ended as Petersson snapped sophomore Kasia Jakowlew’s streak of eight straight wins with a 6-4, 7-6 victory.
Arizona plays next on Friday, Feb. 4, against Loyola Marymount at the LaNelle Robson Tennis Center beginning at 1:30 p.m. The following day, the Wildcats take on another West Coast Conference squad, San Diego, at home, beginning at 2 p.m.
Maes said, “We’re going to face two good schools next week. Obviously, we’re favored to win, but the main thing is to feed off of what we did this week and win a little bit more convincingly.”
1. No. 17 Mlakar/Hollands (UA) def. Karnaukhova/Karanoko (Sac. St.) 8-2
2. Balzert/Perry (UA) def. Petersson/Erikson (Sac. St.) 8-4
3. Rochefort/Todorova (UA) def. Fessenko/Helland (Sac. St.) 8-3
1. No. 17 Margarita Karnauhkhova (Sac. St.) def. No. 63 Maja Mlakar (UA) 7-5, 6-1
2. No. 23 Dianne Hollands (UA) def. Irina Karanoko (Sac. St.) 6-3, 6-1
3. No. 61 Anna Erikson (Sac. St.) def. Stephanie Balzert (UA) 7-6, 6-1
4. Kelly Perry (UA) def. Roberta Fessenko (Sac. St.) 6-2, 6-2
5. Klara Petersson (Sac. St.) def. Kasia Jakowlew (UA) 6-4, 7-6
6. Camelia Todorova (UA) def. Cecilia Helland (Sac. St.) 6-4, 6-2