EUGENE , Ore. ?C The University of Arizona menˇ?s tennis teamˇ?s conference troubles continued on Friday as the Wildcats (5-15) dropped a close 5-2 decision to the Oregon Ducks (10-11). Arizona got off to a good start, winning two of the three doubles matches, and capturing a one-point advantage before heading into singles play.
In singles, Jason Labrosse increased the Wildcat lead to 2-0 after a straight set victory over Ric Mortera at the No. 3 position. Oregonˇ?s Eric Pickard then got the Ducks on the scoreboard with a 6-2, 7-6(5) win over Alex Labrosse before Mike Myrhed topped Arizonaˇ?s Peter Zimmer in three sets to even the match at two. Oregonˇ?s Marcos Verdasco put the Ducks in the lead after upsetting No. 83 Claudio Christen 2-6, 6-3, 6-4 on court one. At the No. 2 spot, Arizonaˇ?s Bruno Alcala tried to the Wildcatˇ?s hopes alive, reaching a third set tiebreaker against Alexander Cornelissen. Cronelissen won the tiebreaker 7-5, clinching the match for the Ducks. In the final match of the day, Ravid Hezi suffered a similar fate, losing in a third set tiebreaker to Oregonˇ?s Geoff Embry.
In all four three-set matches, the Wildcats won the first set before failing to hold on. It was a dual that could have easily ended in favor of Arizona if a couple games would have gone their way, a familiar trend the Wildcats have experienced throughout the season. The Wildcats hope to pick up their first Pac-10 win on Sunday as they take on the No. 34 University of Washington. The match takes place at the home of the Huskies in Seattle, Wash. and begins at 1 p.m.
Oregon 5, Arizona 2
1. Christen/J. Labrosse (UA) def. Embry/Cornelissen (O) 8-6
2. Verdasco/Francisco Gallardo (O) def. Alcala/Hezi (UA) 8-6
3. Zimmer/Francois VanderMerwe (UA) def. Mortera/Stephen Wiechert (O) 8-3
1. Marcos Verdasco (O) def. No. 83 Christen (UA) 2-6, 6-3, 6-4
2. Alexander Cornelissen (O) def. Alcala (UA) 3-6, 6-4, 7-6(5)
3. J. Labrosse (UA) def. Mortera (O) 6-1, 6-4
4. Geoff Embry (O) def. Hezi (UA) 2-6, 7-5, 7-6(3)
5. Mike Myrhed (O) def. Zimmer (UA) 2-6, 6-3, 6-4
6. Eric Pickard (O) def. A. Labrosse (UA) 6-2, 7-6(5)