March 29, 2003
LOS ANGELES - The No. 46 Arizona women's tennis team nearly upset No. 4 USC Saturday at the Marks Tennis Stadium in Los Angeles. The 3-4 loss saw Arizona remain winless in the Pac-10, and fall to 5-9 on the season.
In doubles play, graduate student Emilie Scribot and sophomore Maja Mlakar were defeated in the No. 1 spot by USC's No. 18 duo of Jewel Peterson and Tiffany Brymer, 8-5. In the second position, junior Debbie Larocque and freshman Kristy Randono fell to Luana Magnani and Anita Loyola, 8-2. For the second time in two days, sophomores Kelly Perry and Dianne Hollands teamed up to notch Arizona's only win in doubles play at the No. 3 spot, defeating Carine Vermeulen and Melissa Esmero, 8-4.
Despite the loss of the doubles point, the Wildcats fought hard in singles play to salvage a win. No. 20 Scribot upset No. 6 Peterson in the top spot, 6-4, 4-6, 7-5. In the second spot, No. 75 Mlakar pulled a huge upset over No. 34 Magnani, 6-4, 7-6. Hollands followed suit, notching a third Wildcat win in the third position over Loyola, 2-6, 6-3, 6-2. But the Wildcats' upset bid fell short with losses in the remaining three positions.
The Wildcats will once again be on the road next week when they take on Washington State on Friday, April 4, and Washington on Saturday, April 5.
1. #20 Emilie Scribot (UA) def. #6 Jewel Peterson (USC), 6-4, 4-6, 7-5
2. #75 Maja Mlakar (UA) def. #34 Luana Magnani (USC), 6-4, 7-6
3. #54 Dianne Hollands (UA) def. Anita Loyola (USC), 2-6, 6-3, 6-2
4. Tiffany Brymer (USC) def. Debbie Larocque (UA), 6-4, 6-2
5. Carine Verleulen (USC) def. Kelly Perry (UA), 2-6, 6-2, 6-2
6. #99 Melissa Esmero (USC) def. Kristy Randono (UA), 6-3, 6-2
1. #18 Peterson/Brymer (USC) def. Scribot/Mlakar (UA), 8-5
2. Magnani/Loyola (USC) def. Larocque/Randono (UA), 8-2
3. Perry/Hollands (UA) def. Vermeulen/Esmero (USC), 8-4