Feb. 11, 2012
Minneapolis, Minn. -
The Arizona Wildcat men’s tennis team dropped their third straight match today with a 7-0 loss to Minnesota. The match, held at Baseline Tennis Center in Minneapolis, Minn., marked the fifth meeting of the two schools and served as a tiebreak with each school earning two wins of the four previous meetings.
“Minnesota played well and put on us today,” said head coach Tad Berkowitz. “The guys learned a lot playing a top-25 level team on the road.”
The day started with doubles action where the Minnesota Golden Gophers swept the Wildcats. On court one, sophomores Mario Urquidi and Andre Vidaller finished first in an 8-2 loss to Rok Bonin and Juilan Dehn. Sebastian Ionescu and Kieren Thompson teamed up on court three where they played Lepnardo Toledo and Juan Pablo Ramirez. The freshman-sophomore duo fell, 8-2. Last to finish was the team of Sumeet Shinde and Carlos Bermudez on court two. The freshman duo was edged, 8-5, by Jack Hamburg and Philip Arndt.
With the doubles point in favor of the Gophers, the match entered singles play where the Cats dropped all six matches.
Urquidi, on court five, was first to finish. The El Paso, Texas native fell, 6-0, 6-2 to Mathieu Froment. On court three, Bermudez finished second in a 6-3, 6-2 loss to Bonin.
Ionescu battled Dehn on court four where the Braila, Romania native was edged, 6-4, 6-2. The loss marked the fourth point for the Gophers and clinched the match in their favor.
On court one, Vidaller took on Arndt. The sophomore from Santos, Brazil dropped the match, 6-2, 6-4. On court six, Thompson battled Hamburg. The sophomore from Brisbane, Australia was edged, 6-4, 6-3. Last to finish was Shinde, on court two. The Pune, India native fell, 6-4, 6-3 to Toledo.
Arizona falls to 3-3 while Minnesota improves to 2-3.
The Cats return to LaNelle Robson Tennis Center as they host San Diego and Denver. Arizona will play San Diego on Friday, Feb. 17 at 11:30 a.m. and Denver on Sunday, Feb. 19 at 11 a.m.
1. Rok Bonin/Julian Dehn (MINN) def. Mario Urquidi/Andre Vidaller (UA) 8-2
2. Jack Hamburg/Phillip Arndt (MINN) def. Sumeet Shinde/Carlos Bermudez (UA) 8-5
3. Leandro Toledo/Juan Pablo Ramirez (MINN) def. Sebastian Ionescu/Kieren Thompson (UA) 8-2*
Order of finish: 1,3*,2
*Clinch doubles point
1. Phillip Arndt (MINN) def. Andre Vidaller (UA) 6-2, 6-4
2. Leandro Toledo (MINN) def. Sumeet Shinde (UA) 6-4, 6-3
3. Rok Bonin (MINN) def. Carlos Bermudez (UA) 6-3, 6-2
4. Julian Dehn (MINN) def. Sebastian Ionescu (UA) 6-4, 6-2*
5. Mathieu Froment (MINN) def. Mario Urquidi (UA) 6-0, 6-2
6. Jack Hamburg (MINN) def. Kieren Thompson (UA) 6-4, 6-3
Order of finish: 5, 3, 4*, 1, 6, 2