May 9, 2009
When the No. 24 Arizona men's tennis team took the court against No. 15 Texas A & M in the second round of the NCAA Tournament they were hoping to advance to the Sweet 16 for the first time in program history. Unfortunately, the Aggies were too much for the Wildcats as they fell 4-0 to the host team.
The Wildcats (18-6, 2-4) fell behind 1-0 early when they dropped the doubles point by losing the matches on courts one and two. Texas A &M`s duo of Austin Krajicek and Conor Pollock, ranked No. 7 in doubles, defeated Andres Arango and Ravid Hazi 8-3 on court No. 1. On court No. 2, Arizona's duo of Jay Goldman and Pat Metham fell to Marcus Lunt and Wil Spencer 8-4.
Arizona fell behind 2-0 when junior Pat Metham fell to Texas A & M's Marcus Lunt 6-2, 6-3 on court No. 5.
Shortly after Metham fell, junior Ravid Hazi lost to Alexey Grigorov 6-3, 7-5 on court No. 4.
Sophomore Jay Goldman had his hands full when he took on No. 17 Conor Pollock on court No. 1. Goldman battled hard, but came up short when he was defeated in straight sets 6-2, 6-4.
1) No. 7 Austin Krajicek/Conor Pollock (TAMU) def. Andres Arango/Ravid Hazi (UA) 8-3
2) Marcus Lunt/Wil Spencer (TAMU) def. Jay Goldman/Pat Metham (UA) 8-4
3) Andres Carrasco/Francois VanderMerwe (UA) def. Alexey Grigorov/Colin Hoover (TAMU) 7-4
1) No. 17 Conor Pollock (TAMU) def. No. 61 Jay Goldman (UA) 6-2, 6-4*
2) Andres Arango (UA) vs. No. 47 Austin Krajicek (TAMU) DNF
3) Andres Carrasco (UA) vs. No. 48 Wil Spencer (TAMU) DNF
4) Alexey Grigorov (TAMU) def. Ravid Hazi (UA) 6-3, 7-5
5) Marcus Lunt (TAMU) def. Pat Metham (UA) 6-2, 6-3
6) Jason Zafiros (UA) vs. Austin Klores (TAMU) DNF
Singles: 5, 4, 1*