Feb. 15, 2002
No. 43 Arizona Men's Tennis Cruises Past Texas Tech The Wildcats Shut Out the Red Raiders on the Singles Side
Tucson, Ariz. - The University of Arizona men's tennis team defeated the Texas Tech Red Raiders, 6-1, on Friday. In their fifth match of a 10-match homestand, Arizona dominated Texas Tech in singles play, taking home all six singles points. The Cats are now 6-0 on the season.
On the singles side, playing in the first position, senior Steven Capriati downed Ben Gudzelak, 6-3, 6-2, to bounce back from his first loss last week. Sophomore Whi Kim outlasted Red Raider Richard Crabtree, 7-6 (4), 6-2, in the second spot, while sophomore Carl Hagman beat Alphonso Perez, 6-1, 1-0 (retired), in the third slot. Senior Bruno Arapovic topped Michael Innerebner, 6-4, 7-6 (4), in the fourth spot. Sophomore Roeland Brateanu, playing in the fifth spot, defeated John Walker, 6-2, 7-5. Competing in the sixth position, sophomore Arnaud Agniel, handled Texas Tech's David Knaszak, 7-6 (4), 6-3. With the win over Knaszak, Agniel clinched the win for the Wildcats, as he recorded the fourth singles point for Arizona.
Arizona lost two of three doubles matches Friday, allowing Texas Tech to win the point. The team of Capriati and Hagman dropped its match to Crabtree and Gudzelak, 9-8 (4). In the second spot, Kim and walk-on freshman Colin O'Grady were victorious against Red Raiders Perez and Innerebner, 8-6. Senior Brian Jackson and Agniel fell to Knaszak and Walker in a close match, 9-8 (3).
The Wildcats are back in action on Sunday, Feb. 17, at 10:30 a.m., when they will face the Rice Owls at the LaNelle Robson Tennis Center.
1. Steven Capriati (UA) def. Ben Gudzelak (TT), 6-3, 6-2
2. Whi Kim (UA) def. Richard Crabtree (TT), 7-6 (4), 6-2
3. Carl Hagman (UA) def. Alphonso Perez (TT), 6-1, 1-0 (retired)
4. Bruno Arapovic (UA) def. Michael Innerebner (TT), 6-4, 7-6 (4)
5. Roeland Brateanu (UA) def. John Walker (TT), 6-2, 7-5
6. Arnaud Agniel (UA) def. David Knaszak (TT), 7-6 (4), 6-3
1. Crabtree/Gudzelak (TT) def. Capriati/Hagman (UA), 9-8 (4)
2. Kim/O'Grady (UA) def. Perez/Innerebner (TT), 8-6
3. Knaszak/Walker (TT) def. Brian Jackson/Agniel (UA), 9-8 (3)