Groslimond was the first to claim a singles point for the Wildcats. Groslimond defeated UCSB’s Stern in straight sets 6-4, 6-4. The Gauchos then got on the board with Hejazi defeating Alcala, 6-4, 6-4. Christen in the No. 3 position put the Wildcats up 3-1 by beating Thronstensen, 6-3, 7-6 (7-4).
UCSB reclaimed momentum with victories in the No. 5 and No. 6 positions. On court 4, Dalskov defeated
The match then came down to the No. 1 singles spot. Matalonga, ranked No. 18, easily took the first set over the Gaucho’s Brotman, 6-3. Brotman then evened the match winning the second set 7-5. In the third set, Matalonga, down 4-5, was able to fight off five match points to hold serve and even the match at five all in the third set. Brotman then held serve and Matalonga had to fight off two more match points to even things at six. In the tiebreaker, Matalonga faced four match points before prevailing, 12-10.
“In the eight years I have been involved with college tennis I have never seen a match like that, where someone was able to fight off 11 match points,” said assistant coach Cory Hubbard. “Roger is the number one guy you want in that situation, a senior and our leader.”
The victory at the No. 1 singles spot gave the No. 55 Wildcats a 4-3 win over the No. 69 Gauchos.
“It is a good win, not great,” said Matalonga. “I hope this win gives us confidence, for me and the whole team.”
The Wildcats will return to the
Arizona 4, No. 69 UC 3 Santa Barbara
- Matalonga/Christen (UA) def Brotman/Dalskov (UCSB) ?- 8-5
- Groslimond/VanderMerwe (UA) def Thronstensen/Hohenstein (UCSB) ?- 8-6
- Alcala/Zimmer (UA) def Stern/Hejazi (UCSB) ?- 8-4
- No. 18 Roger Matalonga (UA) def Nick Brotman (UCSB) ?- 6-3, 5-7, 6-6 (12-10)*
- Jeff Groslimond (UA) def Elad Stern (UCSB) ?- 6-4, 6-4
- Claudio Christen (UA) def Carsten Thronstensen (UCSB) ?- 6-3, 7-6 (7-4)
- Bijan Hejazi (UCSB) def Bruno Alcala (UA) ?- 6-4, 6-4
- Anders Dalskov (UCSB) def Jason Labrosse (UA) ?- 7-5, 3-6, 6-4
- Max Taylor (UCSB) def Francois VanderMerwe (UA) ?- 6-4, 4-6, 6-3
* Denotes Clinching Match
Order of Finish: 2, 4, 3, 6, 5, 1