Eugene, Ore. ?- It was a tough day today for the No. 49 Arizona men’s tennis team (8-11, 1-5 Pac-10) as they fell to Oregon (8-15, 1-5 Pac-10), at Student Tennis Center in Eugene. After losing the doubles point, for the second day in a row, Arizona was unable to recover as Oregon was able to snap an 11-match losing streak, taking four of the six singles matches to win, 5-2.
Beginning action on the day, at the No. 1 spot, the No. 19 pair of senior Colin O'Grady and junior Roger Matalonga fell to Marcus Schiller and Vlad Pino, 8-6. With the score 7-7 tied and Arizona serving, up 40-15, Oregon’s pair of Arron Spencer and Sven Swinnen we’re able to rally back against senior Paul Warkentin and junior Daniel Andrus, taking the match, 9-7. Finishing up doubles action, the freshman duo of Bruno Alcala and Claudio Chrsiten defeated Thomas Bieri and Manuel Kost, 8-6.
In singles action, the Ducks best match of the season proved too much for the Wildcats as they we’re able to take four of six from the Wildcat team. At the No. 1 position, Matalonga fell to a tough No. 14 Swinnen, 6-2, 6-2. Rebounding from a tough defeat yesterday, O’Grady was able to knock of Schiller, 7-5, 6-4. Andrus, at the No. 3 spot, fell to a tough Bieri, 6-3, 6-2. In a hard fought match, Warkentin was unable to finish his match against Kost, being forced to retire in the second set, 6-3, 3-3 (ret.). Rounding out singles competition, Alcala fell to Spencer, 6-3, 6-3, as Christen was able to win for the second time this weekend defeating Pino, 6-3, 7-5.
Arizona closes out the regular season next weekend when it takes on No. 53 Arizona State, Saturday, at 1:30 p.m., at the LaNelle Robson Tennis Center.
No. 49 Arizona 2, Oregon 5
1. Schiller/Pino (UO) def. No. 19 Matalonga/O’Grady (UA) - 8-6
2. Swinnen/Spencer (UO) def. Andrus/Warkentin (UA) - 9-7
3. Christen/Alcala (UA) def. Bieri/Kost (UO) - 8-6
1. No. 14 Sven Swinnen (UO) def. No. 55 Roger Matalonga (UA) - 6-2, 6-2
2. Colin O'Grady (UA) def. Markus Schiller (UO) - 7-5, 6-4
3. Thomas Bieri (UO) def. Daniel Andrus (UA) - 6-3, 6-2
4. Manuel Kost (UO) def. Paul Warkentin (UA) - 6-3, 3-3, ret.
5. Arron Spencer (UO) def. Bruno Alcala (UA) - 6-3, 6-3
6. Claudio Christen (UA) def. Vlad Pino (UO) - 6-3, 7-5