April 7, 2012
LOS ANGELES -
Sophomores Kim Stubbe (Mol, Belgium) and Susan Mc Rann (Dublin, Ireland) earned singles wins for the No. 28 Arizona Women’s Tennis team, but it was not enough to overcome No. 1 UCLA. The Bruins defeated the Wildcats, 5-2 on Saturday at the Los Angeles Tennis Center.
Stubbe posted a victory over No. 116 Skylar Morton in two sets and Mc Rann defeated Carling Seguso in three to lead Arizona.
Senior Natasha Marks (Nottingham, England) pushed UCLA’s McCall Jones to three sets, but fell in a tight 6-4 decision in set three.
“The team did a really great job of battling today,” Arizona head coach Vicky Maes said. “We challenged UCLA on every court and really had some good chances.”
Despite winning the doubles point in eight of the last nine matches, all three doubles teams fell to the Bruins’ highly-ranked teams.
“I was proud of how we competed, especially after losing the doubles point,” Maes said. “This was a great effort and we finished the weekend on a high note. This will surely help us as we go into next weekend with Colorado and Utah.”
The Wildcats will return home next weekend to take on Pac-12 newcomers Colorado on Friday, April 13 at 1:30 p.m. and No. 43 Utah on Saturday, April 14 at noon.
For complete results and continued coverage of Arizona Women’s Tennis, visit ArizonaWildcats.com.
No. 1 UCLA 5, No. 28 Arizona 2
April 7, 2012 – Los Angeles Tennis Center
(1) No. 11 Anderson/Snyder (UCLA) def. No. 50 Marks/Smyth (Arizona), 8-4
(2) No. 9 Dolehide/Montez (UCLA) def. Landsman/Johnson (Arizona), 8-4
(3) Jones/Seguso (UCLA) def. Mc Rann/Stubbe, 8-5
Order of finish: 2, 3*, 1
(1) No. 6 Robin Anderson (UCLA) def. No. 66 Lacey Smyth (Arizona), 6-2, 6-4
(2) No. 105 McCall Jones (UCLA) def. No. 81 Natasha Marks (Arizona), 3-6, 6-2, 6-4
(3) No. 87 Pamela Montez (UCLA) def. Sarah Landsman (Arizona), 7-5, 6-3
(4) Kim Stubbe (Arizona) def. No. 116 Skylar Morton (UCLA), 7-6, 6-1
(5) Susan Mc Rann (Arizona) def. Carling Seguso (UCLA), 4-6, 7-5, 1-0
(6) No. 103 Kaitlin Ray (UCLA) def. Laura Oldham (Arizona) 6-3, 6-0
Order of finish: 6, 1, 3*, 5, 4, 2