New Orleans, La. ?- The No. 41 Arizona Women’s Tennis team (5-2) lost to No. 15 Tulane (3-4) 5-2 Saturday afternoon at the Goldring Tennis Center. The Wildcats did not start the match the way they wanted, losing the doubles point for the first time this year.
No. 17-ranked seniors Dianne Hollands and Maja Mlakar have yet to lose a doubles match in dual match play this year, defeating Maria and Darya Ivanov, 8-4, at the one. Despite the win at the top of the lineup, the Cats could not capture the doubles point, as junior Stephanie Balzert and senior Kelly Perry lost to Julie Smekeodub and Jenny Kuehn 8-5. At the three, freshman Camelia Todorva and sophomore Jessie Rochefort fell to Dorottya Magas and Nancy Kockott, 8-1, giving the Green Wave a 1-0 lead.
In singles play, the results looked nearly identical to Friday’s loss to South Alabama, as Mlakar and Hollands both won their singles matches at the top of the lineup, but the Wildcats could not win another match.
Arizona next plays at Southern California, Friday, Feb. 18, and then at UCLA Saturday, Feb. 19.
No. 15 Tulane 5, No. 41 Arizona 2
1. #17 Mlakar/Hollands (UA) def. #49 Ivanov/Ivanov (TU): 8-4
2. Smekodub/Kuehn (TU) def. Balzert/Perry (UA): 8-5
3. Magas/Kockott (TU) def. Rochefort/Todorova (UA): 8-1
1. #63 Maja Mlakar (UA) def. #112 Maria Ivanov (TU): 6-2, 6-4
2. #23 Dianne Hollands (UA) def. #81 Jenny Kuehn (TU): 7-5, 6-2
3. Julie Smekodub (TU) def. Stephanie Balzert (UA): 6-4, 7-5
4. No. 51 Nancy Kockott (TU) def. Kelly Perry (UA): 7-6(3), 6-2
5. No. 64 Darya Ivanov (TU) def. Kasia Jakowlew (UA): 6-2, 6-2
6. No. 106 Dorottya Magas (TU) def. Camelia Todorova (UA): 6-3, 6-1