LOS ANGELES, Calif. ?- No. 43 Arizona got off to a strong start today at the Los Angeles Tennis Center but could not overcome the strong singles play of No. 23 Colorado falling 4-1. The Wildcats were able to claim the doubles point but lost the first four singles matches. Arizona finishes the season 12-10 overall and 3-4 in the Pac-10. Colorado (20-8) advances to the second round held tomorrow against the winner of the Stony Brook and UCLA match to be decided later today.
In doubles, Roger Matalonga and Jason Labrosse defeated Geoffrey Chizever and Chad Tsuda, 9-8, in the No. 2 spot. Bruno Alcala and Peter Zimmer were able to secure the doubles point with their 9-8 win over Marek Dvorak and Jan Zelezny in the No. 3 position.
In singles, Alcala fell to Zelezny, 6-4, 6-4, in the No. 4 spot. On court three, Claudio Christen won the first set but was unable to hold on, dropping the second and third set Marko Bundalo, 6-2, 6-3. Tsuda claimed Colorado’s third point with his 7-5, 7-6 victory over Labrosse in the fifth spot. Dvorak clinched the win for the Buffaloes, defeating Zimmer, 6-7, 6-3, 6-2, in the No. 6 position. With the match decided, Matalonga’s and Jeff Groslimond’s matches were stopped in their third sets.
Matalonga will return to action on May 24 for the singles portion of the NCAA Championships held at Stanford University.
No. 43 Arizona 4, No. 23 Colorado 1
- Bundalo/Molnar (Colorado) def (49) Groslimond/Christen (UA) ?- 8-5
- Matalonga/Labrosse (UA) def Chizever/Tsuda (Colorado) ?- 9-8 (7-2)
- Alcala/Zimmer (UA) def Dvorak/Zelezny (Colorado) ?- 9-8 (7-5)
Arizona wins the doubles point
- (57) Roger Matalonga (UA) vs (51) Eric Molnar (Colorado) ?- 6-4, 5-7, 1-2 (DNF)
- Jeff Groslimond (UA) vs Peter Bjork (Colorado) ?- 6-0, 4-6, 5-2 (DNF)
- Marko Bundalo (Colorado) def Claudio Christen (UA) ?- 4-6, 6-2, 6-3
- Jan Zelezny (Colorado) def Bruno Alcala (UA) ?- 6-4, 6-4
- Chad Tsuda (Colorado) def Jason Labrosse (UA) ?- 7-5, 7-6 (9-7)
- Marek Dvorak (Colorado) def Peter Zimmer (UA) ?- 6-7 (5-7), 6-3, 6-2*
* Denotes Clinching Match
Order of Finish: 4, 3, 5, 6