Feb. 27, 2010
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah--The Arizona women's tennis team dropped their second match of the season to No. 71 Utah 5-2 Saturday in Salt Lake City.
For the second match in a row, Arizona (8-2, 0-0 Pac-10) dropped the doubles point with losses in the first and third positions. In the No. 2 position, sophomore Sarah Landsman and senior Claire Rietsch defeated Erin Monson and Andrea Maughan 9-7.
In singles, sophomore Natasha Marks, ranked at No. 88 rebounded from yesterday's loss to defeat Anastasia Putilina 6-4, 6-2 in the No. 1 position.
The Wildcats' only other win came in the No. 2 position, Landsman defeated Utah's (4-5, 0-0 MWC) Evgenia Kryuchkova 6-4, 6-3.
"Today's loss came a little bit of a shock to us." Said head coach Vicky Maes, "We didn't play the way I felt we would after last night's battle. We came out flat, and it cost us. I do believe the experience has taught us a valuable lesson and expect to see a change next week when we hit the road again. This team is resilient, and every match has been a great opportunity for growth this year. I have trust that we will put it all on the line next week."
Up next, the Wildcats will kick off conference play at Washington on Friday, March 5 at noon. Sunday, March 7, Arizona will face Washington State, also at noon.
1. Putilina/Miles UT def. No. 42 Marks/Naydenova UA 8-3
2. Landsman/Rietsch UA def. Monson/Maughan UT 9-7
3. Kryuchkova/Johnon UT def. Masschelein/Huh 8-7(7-3)
1. No. 88 Marks UA def. Putilina UT 6-4, 6-2
2. Landsman UA def. Kryuchkova UT 6-4, 6-3
3. Monson UT def. Naydenova UA 6-2, 6-4
4. Miles UT def. Masschelein UA 6-2, 6-1
5. Harris UT def. Rietsch UA 4-6, 6-1, 7-5
6. Johnson UT def. Toporowska UA 4-6, 6-2, 6-2