Berkeley, CA ?- The No. 8 California women's tennis team notched their ninth win of the season, defeating No. 48 Arizona, 5-1, at the Hellman Tennis Center. With the win, the Golden Bears improved to 9-3 overall, 3-2 Pac-10, while the Wildcats drop to 9-3 overall, 0-3 Pac-10. Due to weather conditions, doubles was not played. Arizona won one of six singles matches.
In singles play, no. 92 senior Stephanie Balzert finished first on court one, when she was overcome by No. 3 Zsuzsanna Fodor, 6-0, 6-1. In the sixth position, senior Iza Ferreira fell to Cal’s Jessica Shu, 6-0, 6-0. On court four, junior Kasia Jakowlew put up a good fight against No. 70 Cristina Visico, but fell 6-3, 6-3, in the fourth position, giving Cal the win.
On court five the Wildcats looked to pick up their first point, as freshman Tina Razloznik, won her second set 6-3 over Claire Ilcinkas. After pushing it to a super tie-breaker, Razloznik, fell 11-9. On court three, sophomore Juliette Mavroleon put the only point on the board for the Wildcats after she won her super tie-breaker over Cal’s No. 82 Stephanie Kusano, 4-6, 6-3, (10-2)
The Wildcats will remain in the Bay Area to take on top-ranked Stanford at noon Saturday.
1. Zsuzsanna Fodor (Cal) def. Stephanie Balzert (UA) 6-0, 6-1
2. Suzi Babos (Cal) def. Danielle Steinberg (UA) 6-0, 6-4
3. Juliette Mavroleon (UA) def. Stephanie Kusano (Cal) 4-6, 6-3, (10-2)
4. Cristina Visico (Cal) def. Kasia Jakowlew (UA) 6-3, 6-3
5. Claire Ilcinkas (Cal)def. Tina Razloznik (UA) 6-1, 3-6, (11-9)
6. Jessica Shu (Cal) def. Iza Ferreira (UA) 6-0, 6-0
Final Score: 5-1 Cal