PULLMAN, Wash. ?C The University of Arizona womenˇ?s tennis team suffered another defeat today, this time at the hands of the Washington State Cougars in Pullman, Wash. 5-2.
It is the first loss to Washington State for Arizona womenˇ?s tennis since 2000.
Arizona dropped to 7-14 overall and 0-5 in Pac-10 play while the Cougars improved to 12-9.
Play began with the traditional doubles play with singles following afterwards.
Washington State won the doubles point by taking courts one and three. Arizonaˇ?s Katie Orletsky and Jane Huh teamed together for only the second time and pulled out a victory on court two.
Things did not improve for the Cats in singles as they lost the first five courts to finish and found themselves down 5-0 and the match already decided.
Credit Orletsky and Ariane Masschelein for sticking with it and prevailing in their respective matches to make the match score 5-2.
Next week the Cats will be in Los Angeles in play USC and UCLA.
No. 41 Washington State 5 def. Arizona 2
April 5, 2008
Simmelink Tennis Courts
Pullman, Wash. ?
1. Burduli/Kamendova (WSU) def. Steinberg/Rietsch (UA) 8-4
2. Orletsky/Huh (UA) def. Selaru/Nicolas (WSU) 8-7 (7-3)
3. Stefanova/Cekic (WSU) def. Toporowska/Masschelein (UA) 8-4
Order of finish: 3, 1, 2
1. No. 55 Ekaterina Burduli (WSU) def. No. 38 Danielle Steinberg (UA) 6-2, 6-2
2. Aleksandra Stefanova (WSU) def. Claire Rietsch (UA) 6-2, 6-3
3. Ekaterina Kamendova (WSU) def. Natalia Toporowska (UA) 6-1, Retired
4. Aleksandra Cekic (WSU) def. Jane Huh (UA) 6-2, 6-0
5. Ariane Masschelein (UA) def. Bianca Selaru (WSU) 6-7 (4-7), 6-1, 10-8
6. Katie Orletsky def. Marina Nicolas (WSU) 6-4, 6-3
Order of finish: 3, 4, 2, 1, 5, 6