Records: Arizona (2-2), Oregon (3-3)
TUCSON, Ariz. - Twenty-fifth ranked Arizona won its second straight match Friday defeating Oregon, 6-1, at the Robson Tennis Center. With the victory, the Wildcats earned their first conference win of the season.
UA raced out to an early 1-0 lead capturing all three tightly contested doubles matches.
The Wildcats carried their momentum into singles play logging victories at five of the six singles spots. At the No. 1 position, Arizona senior Michelle Gough outlasted Oregon's Jeanette Mattsson, 6-1, 4-6, 6-3. At the No. 2 spot, UA freshman Debbie Larocque recorded a straight sets victory over the Ducks' Janice Nyland, 6-2, 6-2. UO's point came at the No. 4 singles match where Oregon's Adeline Arnaud defeated Wildcat junior Laresa Marino, 6-3, 6-0.
Arizona returns to action Saturday when it plays host to New Mexico at 10 a.m. MST.
1. Michelle Gough (UA) def. Jeanette Mattsson (UO), 6-1, 4-6, 6-3
2. Debbie Larocque (UA) def. Janice Nyland (UO), 6-2, 6-2
3. Sophie Regnier (UA) def. Monika Gieczys (UO), 6-3, 6-1
4. Adeline Arnaud (UO) def. Laresa Marino (UA), 6-3, 6-0
5. Perrine Pernin (UA) def. Vickie Gunnarsson (UO), 6-4, 6-3
6. Brooke Taylor (UA) def. Davina Mendiburu (UO), 7-6, 6-2
Doubles (Arizona wins doubles point)
1. Regnier/Gough (UA) def. Menduburu/Nyland (UO), 9-8
2. Larocque/Marino (UA) def. Gieczys/Courtney Nagle (UO), 8-5
3. Pernin/Taylor (UA) def. Arnaud/Gunnarsson (UO), 8-6