TUCSON, Ariz. ?- A doubles point victory and two upsets in singles play did not amount to a victory for the No. 50 Arizona women’s tennis team (6-11, 0-6), as the Wildcats fell 4-3 to No. 21 Washington (13-7, 2-3) in their second to last home match of the year Friday.
UA took the doubles point with No. 32-ranked seniors Dianne Hollands and Maja Mlakar defeating Dea Sumantri and Dinka Hadzic, 8-0, on court one. Senior Kelly Perry and freshman Camelia Todorova clinched the point for the Cats with their 8-5 victory over Monika Kolbovic and Tara Simpson.
In singles play, No. 40 Hollands upset No. 16 Sumantri, 6-2, 6-3, at the one. On court two, No. 87 Mlakar knocked off No. 54 Hadzic by a score of 6-4, 7-6 (7-5). Unfortunately for the Cats, those would be their only two singles victories of the afternoon, as the Huskies took the other four singles matches.
Arizona next plays tomorrow at Robson Tennis Center against Washington State, beginning at noon. The match is UA’s last home contest of the year and the team will be celebrating Senior Day.
Washington 4, Arizona 3
1. No. 32 Mlakar/Hollands (UA) def. Sumantri/Hadzic (UW) 8-0
2. Ahn/Nauenberg (UW) def. Jakowlew/Rochefort (UA) 8-6
3. Perry/Todorova (UA) def. Kolbovic/Simpson (UW) 8-5
- No. 40 Dianne Hollands (UA) def. No. 16 Dea Sumantri (UW) 6-2, 6-3
- No. 87 Maja Mlakar (UA) def. No. 54 Dinka Hadzic 6-4, 7-6 (7-5)
- Mugette Ahn (UW) def. Stephanie Balzert (UA) withdrew
- Saskia Nauenberg (UW) def. Kelly Perry (UA) 6-3, 6-0
- Tara Simpson (UW) def. Kasia Jakowlew (UA) 6-3, 3-6, 6-1
- Allison Rainey (UW) Camelia Todorova (UA) 6-2, 6-4