TULSA, Okla. ?- The No. 26 Arizona men’s tennis team (3-1) squeak past No. 60 Tulsa (7-1) tonight, Jan. 29, to give Tulsa their first loss of the season. The Wildcats defeated the Hurricanes, in a hostile environment filled with a large crowd, 4-3 on the final match of the night.
“Tonight, playing in a hostile environment with a large crowd, it was good experience, for them to play in a situation like that. Playing in a environment like that, it will only help our players become stronger as we head down the road to the NCAA tournament,” said assistant coach, Tad Berkowitz.
To start off the evening, in doubles, No. 18 senior Colin O'Grady and junior Roger Matalonga, defeated Achim Roth and Alexksander Charpantidis, 8-5. From there the matches got a little tougher for the Wildcats. Following up on the No. 1 pairing, in the No. 3 position, senior Paul Warkentin and freshman Christen Claudio defeated Lucques Maasdorp and Will Gray, 8-6, securing the doubles point for the Wildcats. In a match that went to extra points, junior Daniel Andrus and freshman Bruno Alcala fell to Diego Camacho and Andy Connelly, 9-7.
Competing in singles action, No. 58 Matalonga, rebounded from yesterdays tough lost, defeating Roth, in straight sets, 6-3, 6-4. Following up in the No. 2 position, O’Grady followed up defeating Charpantidis, 6-4, 6-4. In a tough stretch for the Wildcats, Alcala fell to Ricardo Soriana, 7-6 (4), 6-3. In another tough match, Warkentin fell to, younger brother of Ricordo, Federico Soriano, 6-3, 3-6, 6-1. To seal the Wildcat victory, freshman Jason Labrosse defeated Diego, 7-5, 6-3. In the final match of the day, Claudio, fell in his first collegiate match, to Will Gray, 6-2, 7-6 (4).
The Wildcats will host UC Santa Barbra next weekend, Saturday, Feb. 5. First serve is scheduled for 10:00 a.m. Also, Sunday, Feb. 6, the Wildcats will host New Mexico State with a 1:00 p.m. start time.
Results: Arizona vs. Oklahoma State
- No. 18 Matalonga/O’Grady (UA) def. No. 41 Roth/Charpantidis (Tulsa) ?- 8-5
- Camacho/Connelly (Tulsa) def. Alcala/Andrus (UA) ?- 9-7
- Warkentin/Claudio (UA) def. Maasdorp/Gray (Tulsa) ?- 8-6
- No. 58 Roger Matalonga (UA) def. Achim Roth ?- 6-3, 6-4
- Colin O'Grady (UA) def. Aleksander Charpantidis ?- 6-4, 6-4
- Ricardo Soriano (Tulsa) def. Bruno Alcala (UA) ?- 7-6 (4), 6-3
- Federico Soriano (Tulsa) def. Paul Warkentin (UA) ?- 6-3, 3-6, 6-1
- Jason Labrosse (UA) def. Diego Camacho (Tulsa) ?- 7-5, 6-3
- Will Gray (Tulsa) def. Christen Claudio (UA) ?- 6-2, 7-6 (4)