Aug. 27, 2010
Arizona senior defender Becky Barry takes some time to answer questions about the upcoming 2010 season and her experiences as an Arizona Wildcat.
1. What are you most looking forward to as you enter your final season as a Wildcat?
BB--I am excited for another season with a great group of girls. I am excited for a new year, with a great team. I want to push this team to be the best we can be. We have welcomed in some wonderful freshman and I think they are a great addition to all of our returners. I hope we have a winning season that only ends in the post-season!
2. What has been the most rewarding part of your experience as a student- athlete at Arizona?
BB--Being from Tucson, it has been a great experience to put on an Arizona jersey, representing my family and friends. I have loved wearing these colors and representing a great school.
3. What is the most difficult part of being a student-athlete that perhaps the average person does not realize?
BB--Time management is a huge part of being a student-athlete. It is very time consuming to go from practice to class to study hall to weights and traveling every other weekend and most people do not realize the extra things student-athletes have to do and the amount of time it takes up.
4. As one of the leaders of the team, how do you approach this season differently than previous seasons?
BB--I don't think I have approached the season too differently than I have in the past. We always want to win and we are always pushing each other in practice. I am trying to set a good example for my teammates and do everything I can to prepare the team.
5. How have the younger players looked in preseason training and what has been your role in helping them develop?
BB--The younger girls have been amazing! I am so excited to welcome them onto the team. They worked really hard along side the returners this summer and I cannot wait to see what they can do on the field. As a team, everyone has been very supportive of one another on and off the field. It has been a great transition over the summer.
6. What will be some of the keys for the team this weekend in San Diego as you start the season on the road?
BB--I think everyone needs to be mentally prepared. As a group we are physically prepared to handle any team this opening weekend, but mentally, the first game is always exciting. I know the girls are ready to play and anxious to get the season going.