Palo Alto, Calif. ?- The No. 26 Arizona men’s tennis (5-3) fell to the No. 7-ranked Stanford Cardinals, 7-0, Sunday Feb. 13. Arizona lost the doubles point, winning only one of the three matches, on Friday Feb. 11, and the Cardinals, in all six singles matches, swept today. Arizona falls to 5-3, while Stanford extends their unbeaten record to 6-0.
Today, in singles competition, the Cardinals continued where they left off, sweeping the Wildcats in straight sets across the board. No. 58 junior Roger Matalonga fell to No. 4 Sam Warburg 6-3, 6-2. In his first dual match singles loss of the season, senior Colin O'Grady fell to No. 15 KC Corkery, 4-6, 6-3, 6-3. Senior Paul Warkentin fell to Phil Sheng, 6-4, 6-4. Junior Daniel Andrus, in only his third singles match this spring, was defeated by James Wan, 6-4, 6-2. After compiling a 10-1 record last fall, freshman Bruno Alcala fell in his 6th match this season, to Phil Kao, 6-3, 6-1. Finishing up competition, redshirt freshman Jason Labrosse fell to Eric McKean, 6-4, 6-3.
The Wildcats will continue action Saturday Feb. 19, as they will head to Pepperdine University to face off against the No. 63-ranked University of New Mexico for a 1:00 p.m. start. Sunday, Feb. 20, the Wildcats compete against Pepperdine, first serve at 1:00 p.m.
Results: Arizona vs. Stanford
- No. 4 Sam Warburg (Stan) def. No. 58 Roger Matalonga (UA) ?- 6-3, 6-2
- No. 15 KC Corkery (Stan) def. Colin O'Grady (UA) ?-4-6, 6-3, 6-3
- Phil Sheng (Stan) def. Paul Warkentin (UA) ?- 6-4, 6-4
- James Wan (Stan) def. Daniel Andrus (UA) ?- 6-4, 6-2
- Phil Kao (Stan) def. Bruno Alcala (UA) ?- 6-3, 6-1
- Eric McKean (Stan) def. Jason Labrosse (UA) ?- 6-4, 6-3