April 8, 2011
TUCSON - The 29th-ranked Arizona Wildcat women's tennis team fell to No. 8 UCLA on Friday. The 7-0 loss to the Bruins marked the team's only home loss of the season.
In doubles action, the Wildcats dropped the point, losing both matches. On court one, Natasha Marks and Lacey Smyth teamed up to battle the 27th-ranked team of McCall Jones and Noelle Hickey. Marks and Smyth lost the battle, 8-2. On court two, Debora Castany and Kim Stubbe took on Pamela Montez and Maya Johansson. The Wildcat duo fell 8-1 to the Bruin team.
In singles play, Arizona was edged on all five courts. Elizabeth Hammond was first to finish on court five. The sophomore from Scottsdale, Ariz., fell to Nina Pantic, 6-0, 6-1. Castany was next to finish on court four. The junior from Barcelona, Spain was edged by Carling Seguso, 6-2, 6-0. On court one, Marks was third to finish. The Nottingham, England native fell to No. 58 Jones, 6-0, 6-3.
Stubbe was next to finish on court three. The freshman from Mol, Belgium fell to the 122nd-ranked Montez, 6-3, 6-4. Last to finish was Smyth on court two. In a back and forth battle, the freshman from Oceanside, Calif., fell to No. 61 Remynse, 6-4, 6-4.
Arizona falls to 2-4 in Pac-10 play while UCLA improves to 6-1. The Wildcats will play next on April 28 at the Pac-10 Championships in Ojai, Calif.
No. 8 UCLA* 7, *No. 29 Arizona 0
*LaNelle** Robson Tennis Center***
*Friday, April 8, 2011*
*New Records: Arizona (15-7, 2-4 Pac-10) UCLA (16-5, 6-1 Pac-10)*
1. No. 27 Jones/Hickey (UCLA) def. Marks/Smyth (UA), 8-2
2. Montez/Johansson (UCLA) def. Castany/Stubbe (UA). 8-1
1. No. 58 McCall Jones (UCLA) def. Natasha Marks (UA), 6-0, 6-3
2. No. 61 Andrea Remynse (UCLA) def. Lacey Smyth (UA), 6-4, 6-4
3. No. 122 Pamela Montez (UCLA) def. Kim Stubbe (UA), 6-3, 6-4
4. Carling Seguso (UCLA) def. Debora Castany (UA), 6-2, 6-0
5. Nina Pantic (UCLA) def. Elizabeth Hammond (UA), 6-0, 6-1