Feb. 28, 2003
WACO, Texas - The No. 26 Arizona women's tennis team defeated No. 43 Baylor Friday at the Baylor Tennis Center in Waco, Texas. The Wildcats notched a 6-1 victory over the Bears, improving to 3-3 on the season.
In singles action, graduate student Emilie Scribot defeated Baylor's Anna Moncolova in the No. 1 spot, 6-4, 6-4. In the second spot, sophomore Maja Mlakar downed Vida Mulec, 6-3, 6-1. In the third position, sophomore Dianne Hollands won her match versus Stephanie Balzert, 6-3, 4-6, 6-4. In the fourth spot, junior Debbie Larocque defeated Daria Potapova, 7-5, 7-6. Sophomore Kelly Perry ended Izabela Mijic's six-game win streak by winning in the fifth spot, 6-4, 4-6, 6-2. In the sixth position, freshman Kristy Randono fell to Barbora Blahutiakova, 7-5, 6-3.
The Wildcats went on to win the doubles point, winning in the first and third spots. In the No. 1 position, Hollands and Scribot defeated Baylor's duo of Blahutiakova and Alison Bradley, 8-2. In the second spot, Arizona's team of Mlakar and Larocque fell to Mulec and Moncolova, 8-6. In the third spot, Perry and Randono teamed up for Arizona to defeat Balzert and Potapova, 8-3.
Arizona's record improves to 3-3, 0-3 in the Pac-10. The Wildcats' last Pac-10 match versus ASU on Feb. 26, was cancelled because of rain, after Arizona had taken a lead over No. 8 Arizona State. The two teams could not reach an agreement on a new match time that would allow the score to continue from the matches already played, as opposed to restarting with a 0-0 score. The match was cancelled and a new date has yet to be scheduled.
Arizona's Texas road trip continues Saturday, when the Wildcats will take on the No. 30 Texas Christian University tennis team at noon.
1. Emilie Scribot (UA) def. Anna Moncolova (BU), 6-4-, 6-4
2. Maja Mlakar (UA) def. Vida Mulec (BU), 6-3, 6-1
3. Dianne Hollands (UA) def. Stephanie Balzert (BU), 6-3, 4-6, 6-4
4. Debbie Larocque (UA) def. Daria Potapova (BU), 7-5, 7-6
5. Kelly Perry (UA) def. Izabela Mijic (BU), 6-3, 47-6, 6-2
6. Barbora Blahutiakova (BU) def. Kristy Randono (UA), 7-5, 6-3
1. Hollands/Scribot (UA) def. Blahutiakova/Alison Bradley (BU), 8-2
2. Mulec/Moncolova (BU) def. Mlakar/Larocque (UA), 8-6
3. Perry/Randono (UA) def. Balzert/Potapova (BU), 8-3