Tucson, Ariz. ?- The No. 58 women’s tennis team took on the No. 49 Denver Pioneers (3-3) and defeated them 6-1, extending their winning streak to 7-0. The Wildcats swept all three doubles matches and won five of six single matches. This is the Wildcats best start since 1997, when they went 7-0.
“We are very happy with everybody’s effort,” said head coach Vicky Maes. “People are starting to notice that this is a different team. We are much more competitive than in the past, and it is paying off.”
In doubles play, senior Stephanie Balzert and sophomore Juliette Mavroleon, remain undefeated today after winning their doubles match against Denver’s Suzana Maksovic and Kyla Iwinski, 8-4, in the first position. Fellow teammates freshman Danielle Steinberg and sophomore Camelia Todorova clinched the doubles point when they defeated Rachel Sackmaster and Annette Aksdal, 8-4. Junior Kasia Jakowlew and junior Jessie Rochefort completed the doubles sweep, defeating Lorinda Boothman and Marisa Mechem, 9-8.
In singles play, freshman Danielle Steinberg finished first in record time, when she defeated Denver’s Aksdal, 6-0, 6-0, in the No. 2 position.
“Dani’s cruising through the matches,” said head coach Vicky Maes.
In the fourth position, Jakowlew defeated Iwinski, 6-2, 6-4. On court one, Balzert battled it out in the first position, and won against Denver’s Maksovic, 6-2, 7-5, giving the Wildcats the fourth point. Meanwhile, her doubles partner Mavroleon was finishing up on court three, defeating Denver’s Sackmaster, 6-3, 7-5.
In the No. 6 slot, Todorova split the first two sets, sending them into a super tie-breaker, Todorova fell to Denver’s Boothman, 6-3, 2-6, (11-9), putting the only point on the board for the Pioneers. Freshman Tina Razloznik finished on court five, defeating Mechem, 7-5, 6-3, making the final score 6-1.
Next week Arizona goes back on the road to play against No. 45 Fresno State and No. 61 Oklahoma on Feb. 17-18. The following week, the Wildcats will return home to play their first conference matches against No. 11 UCLA and Southern California on Feb. 24-25.
1. Balzert/Mavroleon (UA) def. Maksovic/Iwinski (Denver) 8-4
2. Steinberg/Todorova (UA) def. Sackmaster/Aksdal (Denver) 8-4
3. Jakowlew/Rochefort (UA) def. Boothman/Mechem (Denver) 9-8
1. Stephanie Balzert (UA) def. Suzana Maksovic (Denver) 6-2, 7-5
2. Danielle Steinberg (UA) def. Annette Aksdal (Denver) 6-0, 6-0
3. Juliette Mavroleon (UA) def. Rachel Sackmaster (Denver) 6-3, 7-5
4. Kasia Jakowlew (UA) def. Kyla Iwinski (Denver) 6-2, 6-4
5. Tina Razloznik (UA) def. Marisa Mechem (Denver) 7-5, 6-3
6. Lorinda Boothman(Denver) def. Camelia Todorova (UA) 6-3, 2-6, (11-9)
Final Score: 6-1
Season Record: 7-0