Feb. 8, 2009
TUCSON - No. 45 Arizona men's tennis team took the court against No. 55 St. Mary's after a two-and-a-half delay and beat the Gaels (1-6), 4-0. The delay was the result of allowing the courts to dry.
The Wildcats (5-1) came out ready to play and remained focus as it was first one to four wins, wins the match.
"I thought our focus was there the whole match," head coach Tad Berkowitz said. "This is the second time this season we have had to wait to play, and I thought the guys just stepped up their games to get it done."
Junior Andres Arango continued his dominance in position #2 beating St. Mary's Maxime Olivan 6-0, 6-0, in a match that lasted about thirty minutes.
Also, freshman Jason Zafiros defeated Youssef El Bouzkouri in position #6 6-3, 6-1.
Arizona clinched the match when sophomore Andres Carrasco defeated Gain Leon in position #4 6-7 (7-5) 6-1, 6-1.
Junior Pat Metham beat Andrea Zannoni in position #5 6-4, 6-2.
Arizona will be in action again next Saturday, Feb. 6, 2009 at 12:00 p.m. when the take on San Francisco. The match will be played at the LaNelle Robson Tennis Center.
1) Jay Goldman (UA) vs. Lucas Tirelli (SMC) DNF
2) Andres Arango (UA) def. Maxime Olivan (SMC) 6-0, 6-0
3) Ravid Hazi (UA) vs. Achim Christinen (SMC) DNF
4) Andres Carrasco (UA) def. Gavin Leon (SMC) 6-7 (7-5), 6-1, 6-1*
5) Pat Metham (UA) def. Andrea Zannoni (SMC) 6-4, 6-2
6) Jason Zafiros (UA) def. Youssef El Bouzkouri (SMC) 6-3, 6-1
Order: 2, 5, 6, 4 *Clinched victory