April 18, 2009
The Wildcats finished off their regular season with a 5-2 loss to conference rivals Arizona State.
In the No. 2 position, senior Danielle Steinberg and freshman Sarah Landsman lost to Sianna Simmons and Ashlee Brown 8-6, and in the No. 3 position, junior Ariane Masschelein and sophomore Jane Huh lost to Kelcy McKenna and Michelle Brycki 8-3.
"Today was a tough day." Said head coach Vicky Maes, "We didn't do a very good job in the doubles. We all got a bit of a late start and then had to battle back. This doesn't work against a team like ASU. They are experienced and won't give up leads."
In doubles, Steinberg fought hard for her final regular season win, defeating McKenna 6-2, 7-6 (4), 6-3.
In the No. 4 spot, Masschelein defeated Brycki 6-3, 6-2.
"Losing the doubles point knocked the wind out of us a little which gave us a slow start in singles. Regardless of that, we had a chance in our top 4 singles. Ariane played a well-focused match to beat Brycki in straight sets. Dani, Tash and Sarah all took their matches to a third set. Then Dani won and that was really a great way to finish her season, but we came up short in 2 and 3. It's a little bit of a letdown for our last match, but overall we made huge improvements this year and I'm proud of our girls."
Up next for the Wildcats are the Pac-10 Championships in Ojai starting on April 23 through the 26th.
1. Laila Abdala/Nadia Abdala def. Claire Rietsch/Natasha Marks 9-7
2. Sianna Simmons/Ashlee Brown def. Danielle Steinberg/Sarah Landsman 8-6
3. Kelcy McKenna/Michelle Brycki def. Ariane Masschelein/Jane Huh 8-3
1. No. 92 Danielle Steinberg def. No. 5 Kelcy McKenna 6-2, 7-6 (4), 6-3
2. Nadia Abdala def. No. 109 Natasha Marks 2-6, 7-5, 6-0
3. Laila Abdala def. No. 111 Sarah Landsman 6-2, 6-7, 6-2
4. Ariane Masschelein def. Michelle Brycki 6-3, 6-2
5. Ashlee Brown def. Jane Huh 6-0, 6-1
6. Sianna Simmons def. Claire Rietsch 6-1, 6-4