LOS ANGELES, Calif. ?- No. 53 Arizona (6-1) gave a solid effort but was unable to overcome the strong singles play of No. 7 UCLA (8-3) and fell 6-1. This is Arizona’s first loss of the season. The Wildcats got off to a good start against the defending national champs by taking the doubles point with wins in the No. 2 and No. 3 spots. Wildcat pair Daniel Andrus and Roger Matalonga defeated Chris Surapol and Haythem Abid, 8-5. Bruno Alcala and Peter Zimmer defeated the Bruins Aaron Yovan and Mathieu Dehaine, 8-5, to secure Arizona’s point.
Arizona was unable use its momentum from doubles to notch any victories in singles play. Matalonga fell to third-ranked Benjamin Kohlloeffel in the No. 1 spot, 6-4, 6-2. Since starting the season 4-0, Matalonga has lost three matches straight. On court two, Jeff Groslimond was unable to remain undefeated on the year, falling to Abid 6-4, 6-4. Andrus, playing his first singles match of the season, lost to Dehaine 6-1, 6-1.
Claudio Christen, playing in the No. 4 spot for the first time, lost to Surapol 6-0, 6-2. The Bruins Philipp Gruendler defeated Alcala 6-4, 6-4. Jason Labrosse fought hard in the No. 6 spot but eventually fell in a two set tiebreaker, 6-0, 4-6, 10-7.
“We did a good job in doubles,” said assistant coach Cory Hubbard. “We had a lot of energy and played really well at the No. 2 and No. 3 spots. At singles we got off to a slow start and it took away from the momentum. It was really hard to rebound from the slow start.”
Arizona will look to rebound from its first loss tomorrow, Feb. 25, when it takes on No. 25 USC at 1 p.m.
No. 7 UCLA 6, No. 53 Arizona 1
- No. 10 Kohlloeffel/Gruendler (UCLA) def Groslimond/Christen (UA)?- 8-4
- No. 45 Matalonga/Andrus (UA) def Surapol/Abid (UCLA) ?- 8-5
- Alcala/Zimmer (UA) def Yovan/Dehaine (UCLA) ?- 8-5
- No. 3 Benjamin Kohlloeffel (UCLA) def No. 80 Roger Matalonga (UA) ?- 6-4, 6-2*
- Haythem Abid (UCLA) def No. 84 Jeff Groslimond (UA) ?- 6-4, 6-4
- No. 82 Mathieu Dehaine (UCLA) def Daniel Andrus (UA) ?- 6-1, 6-1
- Chris Surapol (UCLA) def Claudio Christen (UA) ?- 6-0, 6-2
- Philipp Gruendler (UCLA) def Bruno Alcala (UA) ?- 6-4, 6-4
- No. 75 Michael Look (UCLA) def Jason Labrosse (UA) ?- 6-0, 4-6, 10-7
* Denotes Clinching Match
Order of Finish: 3, 4, 5, 1, 2, 6