“We came out in doubles and the guys did a great job, especially in No. 1 doubles,” said assistant coach Cory Hubbard. “They got down a break but were able to battle back. The point was big because USC’s strength is doubles. I’m so proud of the guys and glad that the seniors got a chance to beat USC.”
In doubles, Jeff Groslimond and Claudio Christen defeated Jamil Al-Agba and Dejan Cvetkovic, the 45th-ranked doubles pair, 8-6. Roger Matalonga and Francois VanderMerwe’s 8-5 victory over 53rd-ranked Jeff Kazarian and Kaes Van’t Hof claimed the doubles point for
In singles, the Trojans’ Cvetkovic tied the score with his win on court two over Groslimond, 6-2, 6-1.
In the No. 6 position, Zimmer fell to Kazarian, 7-5, 6-2. Then on court one, Matalonga was able to win the deciding point for the Wildcats defeating Al-Agba, 6-1, 6-2.
“My freshman year against USC it was 3-3 and I lost the deciding match at home,” said Matalonga. “Since then we haven’t had a chance to beat them. I knew I had to win today.”
With the match settled, Van’t Hof was able to overcome Alcala in a two set tiebreaker, 7-6 (7-5), 3-6, 10-4.
4, No. 51 USC 3 Arizona
- Groslimond/Christen (UA) def #45 Al-Agba/Cvetkovic (USC) ?- 8-6
- Matalonga/VanderMerwe (UA) def #53 Kazarian/Van’t Hof (USC) ?- 8-5
- Loucks/Snyder (USC) def Alcala/Zimmer (UA) ?- 8-6
- No. 58 Roger Matalonga (UA) def No. 88 Jamil Al-Agba (USC) ?- 6-1, 6-2*
- Dejan Cvetkovic (USC) def Jeff Groslimond (UA) ?- 6-2, 6-1
- Kaes Van’t Hof (USC) def Bruno Alcala (UA) ?- 7-6 (7-5), 3-6, 10-4
- Claudio Christen (UA) def Adam Loucks (USC) ?- 6-4, 6-1
- Jason Labrosse (UA) def Chong Wang (USC) ?- 6-2, 6-1
- Jeff Kazarian (USC) def Peter Zimmer (UA) ?- 7-5, 6-2
* Denotes Clinching Match
Order of Finish: 2, 5, 4, 6, 1, 3