Tucson, Ariz. ?- In the 2004-05 season finale, the No. 54 Arizona men’s tennis team (8-11, 1-5 Pac-10) fell to No. 52 Arizona State (7-12, 1-5 Pac-10), at LaNelle Robson Tennis Center in Tucson. After losing the doubles point, for the third match in a row, the Wildcats came out strong taking three of the first four singles matches, before dropping the last two to lose the match, 4-3.
Beginning action on the day, the Wildcats’ No. 2 pairing of freshman Bruno Alcala and Claudio Christen fell to Clint Letcher and Jonathan Kinsella, 8-6. Finishing soon after, the top pair of No. 15 senior Colin O'Grady and junior Roger Matalonga fell to Andy Colombo and Mike Beatty, 8-6. With the doubles point already decided, the No. 3 match of junior Daniel Andrus and redshirt freshman Jason Labrosse against Ryan McBride and Nick Hegarty, was called with the score tied, 6-6.
Hoping to turn things around, the Wildcats needed some key wins in singles play to claim the final match of the season. Back at the No. 2 position, No. 55 Matalonga easily defeated Colombo, 6-3, 6-1. Finishing soon after, and continuing the momentum, on court 3, Andrus defeated Kinsella, 7-6 (7-2), 6-1. On court 5, Alcala fell to McBride, 6-3, 6-2. Back on court 1, O’Grady upset No. 122 Letcher, in straight sets, 6-2, 7-6 (7-3).
With the score at 3-2, in favor of the Wildcats, Arizona needed just one more win to clinch the match, however the Sun Devils prevailed in two very tough matches. On court 4, despite having severe leg cramps arise during the second set, Labrosse took Christopher Biro to the full three sets, before falling, 3-6, 6-4, 6-4. In the decisive match of the day, on court 6, Claudio, despite being up 5-2 in the final set tiebreak, fell to Hegarty, 7-5, 4-6, 7-6 (7-5).
Today marked the final dual match that senior Colin O'Grady will play here in Tucson. Over his four-year career at Arizona, O’Grady has compiled a 58-51 singles record, along with a 57-43 doubles record, including a 36-20 record over the past two seasons. O’Grady looks to take his success into next weeks tournament, as the Wildcats will travel to Ojai, Calif., for the Pac-10 Championships, Thurs., April 21-Sunday, April 24.
No. 54 Arizona 3, No. 52 Arizona State 4
1. Colombo/Beatty (ASU) def. No. 19 Matalonga/O'Grady (UA) - 8-6
2. Letcher/Kinsella (ASU) def. Alcala/Christen (UA) - 8-6
3. Andrus/Labrosse (UA) vs. McBride/Hegarty (ASU) - 6-6 DNF
Order of Finish - 2, 1, 3
1. Colin O'Grady (UA) def. No. 122 Clint Letcher (ASU) - 6-2, 7-6 (7-3)
2. No. 55 Roger Matalonga (UA) def. Andy Colombo (ASU) - 6-3, 6-1
3. Daniel Andrus (UA) def. Jonathan Kinsella (ASU) - 7-6 (7-2), 6-1
4. Christopher Biro (ASU) def. Jason Labrosse (UA) - 3-6, 6-4, 6-4
5. Ryan McBride (ASU) def. Bruno Alcala (UA) - 6-3, 6-2
6. Nick Hegarty (ASU) def. Claudio Christen (UA) - 7-5, 4-6, 7-6 (7-5)*
Order of Finish - 2, 3, 5, 1, 4, 6
* - Denotes Clinching Match