Seattle, Wash. ?- In a key match-up today, the No. 49 Arizona men’s tennis team (8-10, 1-4 Pac-10) fell to No. 12 Washington (15-4, 4-1 Pac-10), at Bill Quillian Stadium in Seattle. After being swept in doubles matches for only the second time this year, the Wildcats lost three of the singles matches to lose, 4-2.
Beginning action on the day, the Wildcats’ No. 2 pairing of senior Paul Warkentin and junior Daniel Andrus fell to the Christoph Palmanshofer and Alex Vlaski, 8-5. Finishing soon after, the freshman pair of Bruno Alcala and Claudio Christen fell to Mike Ricks and Andy Kuharszky, 8-6, clinching the doubles point for the Huskies. The Wildcats’ top pair of No. 15 senior Colin O’Grady and junior Roger Matalonga fell to the No. 27 pair of Daniel Chu and Alex Slovic, 8-5.
Hoping to turn things around, the Wildcats needed some key wins in singles play to upset the No. 12 Huskies. Returning to the No. 2 position, O’Grady fell to No. 29 Slovic, 6-3, 6-2. Back at No. 1, No. 55 Matalonga upset No. 19 Vlaski, in straight sets, 6-2, 6-4. With momentum starting to shift the Wildcats’ way, Christen, in the No. 6 position, defeated Peter Scharler, 6-4, 6-4. However, the momentum soon shifted back to the Huskies, as on court four, Andrus fell to No. 57 Palmanshofer, 6-1, 7-6(3). On court five, Alacal fell to Kuharszky, in a come from-behind-victory, 5-7, 6-0, 6-1. Rounding out play on court four, play was suspended as the match had been decided, with Warkentin and Chu tied at a set a piece, 4-6, 6-4.
The Wildcats will return to action at 1p.m. tomorrow, Saturday, April 9, against Oregon.
No. 12 Washington 4, No. 49 Arizona 2
- No. 27 Chu/Slovic (UW) def. No. 19 O'Grady/Matalonga (UA) - 8-5
- Palmanshofer/Vlaski (UW) def. Andrus/Warkentin (UA) - 8-5
- Kuharszky/Ricks (UW) def. Alcala/Christen (UA) - 8-6
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 1
- No. 55 Roger Matalonga (UA) def. No. 19 Alex Vlaski (UW) - 6-2, 6-4
- No. 29 Alex Slovic (UW) def. Colin O'Grady (UA) - 6-3, 6-2
- No. 57 Christoph Palmanshofer (UW) def. Daniel Andrus (UA) - 6-1, 7-6 (3)
- Daniel Chu (UW) vs. Paul Warkentin (UA) - 4-6, 6-4 susp.
- Andy Kuharszky (UW) def. Bruno Alcala (UA) - 5-7, 6-0, 6-1
- Claudio Christen (UA) def. Peter Scharler (UW) - 6-4, 6-4
Order of Finish: 2, 1, 6, 3, 5, 4