TUCSON ?C The Arizona womenˇ?s tennis team dropped its dual match at the hands of the Stanford Cardinal today, 1-6, at the LaNelle Robson Tennis Center in Tucson, Ariz.
Play started with three doubles matches. On court one, Dani Steinberg and Claire Riestch defeated Hilary Barte and Lindsay Burdette to gain a point for the Wildcats.
But Arizona wasnˇ?t able to pick up the additional match needed to win the doubles as they were beaten on courts two and three.
At the end of doubles, head coach Vicky Maes informed officials that an Arizona player was ill and would not be able to compete in singles. The Cats were then forced to default on court six because they only had five players available.
With a 2-0 advantage, Stanford worked quickly in sealing the match. On court five, McVeigh won her first set against Claire Cox. After the set though, Cox was forced to retire due to an injury. The score in the dual match was now 3-0.
Stanford won the dual match when Barte, on court one, beat Steinberg in straight sets; 6-3, 6-1.
Arizona gained its point when Ariane Masschelein defeated Burdette in a third set tie breaker; 6-2, 3-6, 10-6.
Next week the Wildcat will be traveling up to Washington to take on the Washington Huskies and Washington State Cougars.
1. Steinberg / Rietsch UA def. Barte / Burdette Stan; 8-6
2. Nguyen / Hodzic Stan def. Toporowska / Masschelein UA; 8-3
3. Durkin / McVeigh Stan def. Huh / Cox UA; 8-2
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 1 (Stanford wins the doubles point)
1. Barte Stan def. Steinberg UA: 6-3, 6-1
2. Nguyen Stan def. Rietsch UA; 6-2, 6-4
3. Durkin Stan def. Huh UA: 7-5, 6-3
4. Masschelein UA def. Burdette Stan: 6-2, 3-6, 10-6
5. McVeigh Stan def. Cox UA; 6-0, ret.
6. Yen Stan def. Toporowska UA; default
Order of Finish: 6, 5, 1*, 2, 3, 4