Lashley, Liaw post under-par tallies as squad moves two places up the leader board
TUCSON, Ariz. ?- The University of Arizona men’s golf team shot a three-under-par tally Tuesday to move up two places at the 2005 Pac-10 Men’s Golf Championships in Walla Walla, Wash.
Bolstered by three golfers at par or better, Arizona carded a third-round score of 352 (-3) and currently stands in fourth place with a 54-hole total of 1,074 (+9). It was the Wildcats’ first under-par round of the tournament, and was the third-lowest score of the third round on a day where the top five teams all finished below par. Arizona trails tournament-leader Arizona State by 16 strokes entering tomorrow’s final round. UCLA (1,061) and Stanford (1,073) round out the top three places.
Senior Nathan Lashley and sophomore Henry Liaw led the way for Arizona Tuesday, as the duo combined to shoot seven-under par. Lashley posted a three-under 68 to move into a tie for fourth place at 208 (-5). His best previous finish at the Pac-10 Championships was a 20th place effort last year. Liaw fired a four-under 67, the second-lowest round of the day, en route to a three-round tally of four-over 217. The effort moved him 21 places up the leader board.
Arizona State’s Pat Moore continues to lead the 60-man field with a 10-under 203 total. He enters tomorrow’s final round with a four-stroke lead over Stanford’s Rob Grube and Washington’s Erik Olson.
Freshman Travis Esway continued his run of solid play with an even par 71 on Tuesday. Esway and senior Kipp Riehle are currently tied for 18th place at two-over 215. Freshman Trey Denton posted his third straight 74 and is tied for 48th place at 222 (+9).
Sophomore Josh Esler carded a four-over 75 and is tied for 51st place at 223 (+10)
The 72-hole Pac-10 Men’s Golf Championships run through Wednesday at Walla Walla Country Club, a par 71, 6,606-yard layout. The low five scores from each team of six count towards the team total in every round.
Team Standings Top Five Individuals
1. Arizona State 1,058 (-7) 1. Pat Moore, Arizona State 67-67-69=203 (-10)
2. UCLA 1,061 (-4) 2. Rob Grube, Stanford 69-72-66=207 (-6)
3. Stanford 1,073 (+8) Erik Olson, Washington 70-69-68=207 (-6)
4. ARIZONA 1,074 (+9) 4. Kevin Chappell, UCLA 67-70-71=208 (-5)
5. Washington 1,075 (+10) Michael Jensen, California 69-68-71=208 (-5)
6. Oregon 1,081 (+16) Nathan Lashley, Arizona 68-72-68=208 (-5)
California 1,081 (+16)
8. USC 1,082 (+17) Arizona Finishers
9. Washington State 1,083 (+18) T4. Nathan Lashley 68-72-68=208 (-5)
10. Oregon State 1,091 (+26) T18. Travis Esway 68-76-71=215 (+2)
T18. Kipp Riehle 73-70-72=215 (+2)
T28. Henry Liaw 75-75-67=217 (+4)
T48. Trey Denton 74-74-74=222 (+9)
T51. Josh Esler 73-75-75=223 (+10)