LOS ANGELES, Calif. ?C A challenging weekend in Los Angeles for the University of Arizona menˇ?s tennis team (5-14) came to an end on Saturday at the conclusion of a 7-0 loss to No. 10 UCLA (14-3). The Bruins swept all three doubles matches, giving them a one-point advantage heading into singles.
Arizonaˇ?s Claudio Christen and Bruno Alcala were unable to defeat top-50 opponents at No.ˇ?s 1 and 2 before UCLAˇ?s No. 53 Chris Surapol clinched the match with a straight set victory over Jason Labrosse on court three. At the five and six spots, Wildcats Peter Zimmer and Alex Labrosse came close to victory, forcing each of their opponents into a decisive third set. UCLAˇ?s Michael Look and Jeremy Drean both came out on top, though, completing the sweep for the Bruins.
The Wildcats continue a difficult tour through the Pac-10 next week as they travel north to face the Universities of Oregon (9-9) and No. 33 Washington (12-5). The Ducks will be hosting the match at their home facility in Eugene, Ore. on Friday, April 13, at 1:30 p.m. Two days later, Arizona will be in Seattle, Wash. to take on the Huskies at 1:00 p.m.
No. 10 UCLA 7, Arizona 0
1. (12) Philipp Gruendler/Kohlloeffel (UCLA) def. Christen/J. Labrosse (UA) 8-5
2. Abid/Surapol (UCLA) def. Alcala/Hezi (UA) 8-4
3. Dehaine/Drean (UCLA) def. Francois VanderMerwe /Zimmer (UA) 8-7(3)
1. (4) Benjamin Kohlloeffel (UCLA) def. (83) Christen (UA) 6-1, 6-2
2. (38) Haythem Abid (UCLA) def. Alcala (UA) 6-2, 6-4
3. (53) Chris Surapol (UCLA) def. Labrosse (UA) 6-2, 6-2
4. Mathieu Dehaine (UCLA) def. Ravid Hezi (UA) 7-5, 6-2
5. Michael Look (UCLA) def. Zimmer (UA) 6-2, 4-6, 6-26. Jeremy Drean (UCLA) def. A. Labrosse (UA) 6-7(2), 6-0, (10-2)